outboard pre amp (after search)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nunk6, Jun 21, 2001.

1. nunk6

Jul 29, 2000
    ill just be specific in hope of the best results,

does this go in the bass? or can i clip it onto my strap or belt?

does it work with a passive bass other than a jazz?

any descriptions of how the aguilar sounds?

thanks for your help!
  2. An outboard preamp is like a footswitch. In the simplest terms(someone else will explain it better) it will make any passive bass active. Your pickups are still passive so it won't be the same as an active bass but it'll be pretty darn close. As for how the aguilar sounds I have no idea. Hope this helps a little.
  3. DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    I have the Aguilar DB 924 outboard and I really like it. I'm not a big fan of most active pickups because many of them sound very processed to me.The Aguilar does not sound processed at all. It adds a bit of "sheen" to the overall tone where the highs are a little crisper and cleaner and the lows are a little deeper and tighter.The overall signal seems to be much,much cleaner.
    Considering that I have an excellent Eden rig I was surprised at how much I liked what the Aguilar does.
    The difference is pleasantly noticeable on my Fender RB-5 and GREATLY noticeable on my '75 Precision.
    If the Aguilar has any shortcomings its that it doesn't have a footswitch (or any kind of switch) so I don't have it on the floor. It sits on my amp.Having said that, I never turn it off now so I guess I don't need a switch.