Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Outboard preamp and Clarus

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Wilbyman, Mar 31, 2004.

1. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Hi-

Just wanted to throw this out there and get some comments: I've been using my Clarus for a while, and I think it has just dawned on me that I'm not into the preamp in it. Maybe I'm just into some coloration to get my sound through the mix.

However, I'm playing my elecrics through my Baggs Acoustic DI into the Clarus' effects loop and I'm liking it! I think if I had a preamp better suited for electrics I might be in biz-ness. Can anybody recommend something suitable for this application...perhaps the Fodera, Sadowsky, or Aguilar? To tell you the truth, I'd love to have some SWR-like coloration. I think I've been missing that sound since I got my Clarus rig. To me, the SWR coloration will get you heard through some bad mixes in some bad rooms!

Will

2. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    Will,
    I run a SansAmp BDDI with my Clarus and it is a great combination. I don't see why any of the other preamps wouldn't work, but I haven't tried them. As far as a SWR sound goes, the BDDI presence control should get you the clarity. I also run a SM500 and I pretty much associate the SWR sound with clean and slightly scooped. On the BDDi it is just a matter of bumping the bass and treble, since the mid is fixed.
    Pete

3. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    yea, the sansamp is a great little box.

also, my FatDrive was killer in the loop, too. ala Mike Pope, i used to plug into the FD, then straight into the return of the effects loop.

not quite SWR like glossy, but AWESOME for that ampeg like warm tubey tone.

4. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    Have you considered the Fishman Platinum Bass Pro EQ. I've got one and it's a marvelous URB preamp and it works nicely with electric too. I would imagine it would work great with the Clarus.