outboard preamp

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Yvon, Dec 10, 2003.

1. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I am looking for an outboard preamp, right now I am thinking J-retro or maybe the fodera preamp.
    I want a 3 band EQ. Is there any other I should consider?
    Wich one would be the best?
    I guess they are different, but wich one would be the more versatile?
  2. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Why don't you just use the preamp on yor amplifier? What are you looking for from an outboard that the front panel of your amp won't deliver?
  3. Have you tried visiting Basstasters? A couple of our fellow TBer's posted samples of various bass gear including preamps. I think the Sansamp BDDI and Sadowsky Outboard preamp is available. (But I think those are two band).
  4. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    2 maybe 3 things.
    A better sound when I practice at home. I play in my studio monitor, similar in size in Yamaha NS10. I want it to sound a little beeffier.
    Also, 2 sound out of my amp at one click away. Like this I could change bass with different output level, one with the preamp bypassed and the other one with the preamp on. Or, a finger picking sound preamp off and a slap sound with the preamp on.
    Also, for the first time in about fifteen years I'm playing all passive basses, I'M scare I will miss the active sound!!
  5. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Yvon Courneyer-
    Mike Dimin probably has the scoop on the Fodera pre-amp.
  6. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Yes, that is a shock going back.
    It's strange 'cause I grew up playing passive basses & listening to records with passive basses...nothing wrong with them at all, & yet-
    I will use a Sadowsky outboard when going passive.