1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Outboard Preamp

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jazzbass1967, Nov 20, 2010.

1. Aguilar Tone Hammer

5 vote(s)
    45.5%
  2. EBS Micro Bass II

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Radial Bass Bone

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Sadowsky

5 vote(s)
    45.5%
  5. Xotic BB

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  1. I've spent a lot of years playing active basses but my taste is changing to favor passive basses these days (especially in studio). I was in a music store recently and took my 62 RI Jazz bass and my Metro 5. I A/B'd my Metro against my 62 RI (running the 62 RI thru a Sadowsky outboard pre). My ears heard no difference. If anything, my 62 RI may have had a bit more clarity because of the single coil pickups I guess. I'm in the process of looking for a good outboard preamp to use in conjunction with my passive basses for when I want to add that flavor. Any suggestions?

2. Kobaia

Kobaia

Oct 29, 2005
    Denton TX
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amp Gruv Gear and Mono Cases
    I've got the Tone Hammer. I love it. I believe it helps me achieve 'my sound' I've used it in the studio 6 times now as a sessions musician. 4 of those times the engineer didn't even eq my bass at all. its very flexable, and sounds great.

I've yet to find a use for the AGS switch, but now that i have it behind a volume pedal i think i may use it more.

3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Important considerations:
    EQ--how many bands, boost-only or cut&boost, sweepable mids or no, corner frequencies of hi and lo shelving, does EQ have its own on/off switch, is it a footswitch, can the EQ be set "flat", etc.
    Tone coloring--transparency, fatness, grind, girth, modern, vintage, etc.
    Features--multiple inputs, multiple outputs, footswitches for channel toggling, DI XLR, speaker cab simulation, phase adjustment, overdrive, etc.

Most of the medium-to-high end preamp pedals are equally good, it's just a question of which one has the EQ, tone shaping, and features you want. IOW there is no point to asking (or answering) which of the ones you named is good, until/unless you sort out what exactly you want from it.

4. faceinbass

faceinbass

Apr 20, 2008
    KCMO
    Rusty Box. :D

5. gillento

gillento

Oct 15, 2005
    Luxembourg, Europe
    Nordstrand pickups
    Xotic RC, not BB!!
    or Sadowsky DI/pre