Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Outboard vs. Onboard

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Saint Michael, Apr 29, 2004.

1. I just got a new fretless Fender Jazz today. Its the American joint with the s1 switching. I am very pleased with it. I was wondering what some of you more savvy individuals thought about going with a onboard preamp, like the J-Retro or an outboard unit like maybe the Sadowsky. Any advice on brand would be very welcome. Maybe this would help me make up my mind. Thanks.

2. Don't modify the bass, get outboard. IMO tube preamp is the best, but from smaller gadgets, get a pedal with DI out (try the Sad first, also Aphex pedals...). Might wanna do some search too.

Jure

3. I thought the J-Retro was designed to fit without any modifications but I could well be wrong on that.
    It might be better going outboard anyway so you can swap or change as needs /or your ears demand.

cheers

Stew

4. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    I use Sadowsky. Any of the ones out there (Sansamp, Aguilar, etc) will give you a boost. Aside from the gain, it's nice to boost the bass on the preamp and use your bridge pickup. Nice fat sound.

5. Fliptrique

Fliptrique

Jul 22, 2002
    Szczecin, Poland
    Endorsing Artist: Mayones Guitars&Basses, Taurus Amplification
    get an outboard pre.

1. you won`t have to modify your bass
    2. you will only have to buy ONE pre for all of your basses...

i love the way the sadowsky changes the tone of a good bass - it gets warm, creamy, yet focused and tight....

6. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Well said. I really like my Sadowsky with a jazz. What an enhancement.

7. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    btw, the J retro does come in a stompbox version. The onboard version does slip right into a passive Jazz control cavity with no modifications. At least it did with my '97 MIA Jazz V.