Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Outdoor festival...poor planning

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Peter McFerrin, Apr 23, 2003.

1. So my band, Bombard the Headquarters, is set to play a 25-minute set at Cornell's annual Cornstock festival this Saturday at 3:15 PM. We're stoked.

Unfortunately, the weather forecasts for that day all indicate a strong possibility of rain--and hey, it snowed here today, and it's April 23. This is upstate New York, after all.

The infuriating part is this: when I talked to the liaison from Cornell Community Development (who sponsors the show), she said that to the best of her knowledge no rain-out plan has been put into place. Pushing it back to Sunday (predicted to be gloriously sunny and in the 60s) or moving it indoors (there is an excellent and perpetually available room in the building on the front lawn of which the festival is to take place) are both viable options, but as far as I know nothing's been planned.

2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Glad I didn't go to Cornell! Suddenly my time at UMass isn't looking so bad! ;) Poor planning is frustrating. I'd just say the band should have a plan to get their gear out of the rain and or snow, as quickly as possible.

3. UPDATE: I got an email back from the liaison--it's looking like they'll move it indoors somewhere. The question is where.

Of course, it could be 65 and clear, and there could be many nubile freshman girls (although after a long winter of hard drinking, nubility declines precipitously, but you've heard this rant before ;) ) dancing in front of the subs on the lush green lawn. :D

4. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    This doesn't pertain to just his smugness's situation, but it still amazes me at how ignorant some people are when it comes to planning stuff like this. Like when you go to a gig and ask where the stage is and they're like,"uhh, stage? You need a stage?" And when after looking for an outlet you finally ask one of the frat bros and they say, "Oh yeah there aren't any outlets on this floor. You have to run an extension cord from one of the rooms upstairs, out the window, down the side of the house, back in through a window, and across the room. We don't have any extension cords that long; I hope you do." The worst is when they expect you to play an outdoor show when it's 30 degrees F out.

I had one gig for a latino culturefest thing at school a couple weeks ago. The organizers said they would provide sound, so I thought everything would be cool. Turns out they hired a dj! argh. Somehow we managed to pull it off, but we had no monitors so we couldn't hear a thing. Luckily for us Latino people make for a great crowd, and Latino chicks are hot.:D

5. Gabe

Gabe

Jan 21, 2003
    Yep, people don't like to think about where they're putting the musicians. Once, my chamber orchestra was playing an outdoor gig at a "cultural" event. First they asked us where we would like the speakers (chamber music and amps don't mix and even if they had there wasn't an outlet for several miles) and then they set us up directly by the tractor pulls. As great as Mozart was, he lost quite badly to John Deere.