Outdoor festival setlists

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by pglaser01, Apr 20, 2019.

1. pglaser01

pglaser01

Mar 19, 2013
    St. Louis, MO
    If only I were that good....
    Hey all,

We’ve finally done it, and made it to an outdoor festival in Sept. Sorry, festival may not be accurate. It’s a BBQ competition, but a large one with a festival size stage and sound.

Given this, I’m assuming we’ll be mostly background music during a daytime slot. This is for families more than music fans. Our setlist does have a lot of blues, but mostly classic rock, with some Motown and mashups of multiple genres. May not go over the greatest.

In my “YouTube-ing” of other acts that have played there, Country is a big hit....I am ignorant when it comes to Country. So if you have advice please send it my way.

Anyone play BBQ festivals? What worked for you other than standard blues?

2. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    Last festival like that I played, we did 90's rock...... but then again, that show was in 2000. :D

Modern country seems to be the party music of now. Depending what you currently play, if you were to throw in some Jason Aldean, Florida Georgia Line, etc..... it would probably go over pretty well.

And/or if you have access to a female singer, you could toss in some Carrie Underwood, Miranda Lambert etc....

TheBear and pglaser01 like this.
  3. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Who hired you? Did they know what you play?

You don't have to learn a new setlist for a gig. Just play what you usually do. Classic rock to blues to Motown should be great for a barbecue festival.

Don't sweat it. You are way over thinking this.

GregC, BLDavis, jbybj and 15 others like this.
  4. pglaser01

pglaser01

Mar 19, 2013
    St. Louis, MO
    If only I were that good....

Thanks,

Don’t feel I’m greatly overthinking, or trying to come up with a whole new setlist. Just looking to add a few tunesto our list in a genre we don’t normally play, but have no real idea what works or what doesn’t.

Appreciate the advice though, tough job not to over analyze what you’ve never done before!!

5. andawun

andawun

Jul 13, 2009
    Working Man Blues by Merle is always a crowd pleaser. Head Over Boots by John Pardi is also a goodern.

HolmeBass likes this.
  6. whoever hired your band must know what type of music you play..... you do not need to adjust your set list
    just play some more laid back numbers to start 2-4 songs and they start adding in the classic rock!

Mr_Moo likes this.
  7. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    Outdoor festivals are our specialty since we play everything very loud.. Lots of ZZ top and Areosmith.

8. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    Just my opinion, but I'd play what I play best and leave the country music to the country bands.

GregC, Mr_Moo, fretter and 7 others like this.
  9. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    If people are hearing country all day, something different might go over very well. It certainly would for me.

Mr_Moo and oldrocker like this.
  10. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Just remember, likely there will be younger people there, so watch it with the lyrics.

pglaser01 and eJake like this.
  11. Krizz

Krizz

May 26, 2018
    Columbus, OH
    Might want to have Rawhide in your back pocket, just in case :D

Mr_Moo and oldrocker like this.
  12. Big +1 here. Be the band they hired. They probably have other bands scheduled to play country.

Not saying not to spice up your set with a modern country tune that fits your sound, but for the most part be the band that got hired.

13. blue4

blue4

Feb 3, 2013
    St. Louis area
    I wouldn't change much. Some Chris Stapleton might work well since he can get bluesy at times. Something like Midnight Train to Georgia, Traveller, or Parachute.

14. Kevan Campbell

Kevan Campbell Bergantino Artist, Vibe9 IEM Artist Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Austin, TX
    When I play these BBQ “festivals” I’ve noticed that the bands who play during the day perform for families and people who aren’t very engaged with the band; it’s the people who come out in the evening or after dark that tend to listen to the band and may even sing heir lyrics back to them.

pglaser01 likes this.
  15. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

We book ourselves as a country band but play a variety, from Bruno Mars to Johnny Cash. The biggest response we had at our outdoor event last night was to "Shallow" by Bradley Cooper and Lady Gaga from "A Star Is Born".

But for the most part, just be who you are and play your strongest material. You'll do great. Break a leg!

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

16. eJake

eJake

May 22, 2011
    New Orleans
    If this is your first fest spot, play the stuff that you know goes over well. Use all that creative energy to think about how to best utilize this gig to create more opportunities for yourself.

-hire a photographer so your website/social media has shots of you playing festival stages.
    -make sure to have merch to sell
    -get out there and meet people. This is a great opportunity to network with people who do bigger stages more often.

Most important is to be ready, and to have fun!!

Sore Thumb likes this.
  17. InhumanResource

InhumanResource

Dec 28, 2012
    I don't play them but I attend some festivals like this. Most recent band was a kilt wearing group playing ACDC and Ted Nugent, GNR, etc. Sound mix was nuts and tunes were performed hit or miss, they've been there every year and people seemed to like them well enough.

Just do your thing, it got you the gig!

18. You may want to include some possibly pertinent numbers such as "Who'll Stop The Rain", "Stormy", etc. just in case. Osibisa's "Sunshine Day" might be a bit of a stretch.

19. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

How many other bands, and what do they play? Does the event organizers know what you play, and how did you get the gig? They know what you’re all about, right? Just do what you usually do, it’s not like it’s a bar gig and you have to please the owner. Just assume you’ll be ignored by the wandering crowd anyway. Maybe you’ll pick up some new fans, and it’s counterproductive to become a band that you’re not. If you do anything out of the ordinary, work up a version of “Born To Be Wild”.

20. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    I play in a band that does almost no country stuff, but we play "chicken fried" by the Zac Brown band cause people go nuts for it. Guaranteed to have more than half the audience sing along anywhere we are from a bar to a festival.

Sore Thumb likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 12, 2021