1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Outdoor gig no PA two options

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by denton57, Apr 14, 2019 at 9:09 AM.

1. denton57

denton57 Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2005
    Arkansas
    I’m playing an outdoor gig in two weeks and have sold off all of my big cabs. PA will only be used for vocals, and the GP uses a Deluxe Reverb that may or may not be miced. Prob not. Anyway, it’s not going to be a huge volume thing (drums not miced), but I want to be heard. I will be using my vintage V4 head. Should I go with:

2 Ampeg svt210 cabs

Or

2 1x15 cabs loaded with JBL K140’s.

I plan on cranking the mids more than usual. Just trying to figure which would be a better set-up cab wise.

Tony In Philly and davegt666 like this.
  2. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    Personally, I prefer a pair of vertically stacked 2x10s because (1) it gets some speakers up closer to your ears so you can hear yourself -- especially important if you have to stand right in front of it -- and (2) has excellent horizontal dispersion so you can be heard everywhere.

3. Stack the 2x10's on end like Lobster11 recommends. It might not be the coolest looking arrangement, but they'll sound better that way.

squidtastic, dkelley and smogg like this.
  4. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

2 x15s or you'll look like a T

Jeff Scott and staurosjohn like this.
  5. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    i prefer 215's for outdoor live gigs.

Jeff Scott, City, D.A.R.K. and 6 others like this.
  6. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    2x15 ... period.

Jeff Scott, City, eottjake and 6 others like this.
  7. Mark me down as voting for the 2-15's.

8. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

i like 'em all, but: for what you describe the 2-15's arrangement should give you the "i wanna be heard" thing. and while those drivers aren't particularly special in the power department, they are pretty special in the "sounds good" department. good luck with your gig! :thumbsup:

rodl2005 and denton57 like this.
  9. edencab

edencab

Aug 14, 2013
    Toronto, On
    I'd also take 2@15" if I had a choice...will you have a chance to try both options before the gig

shadven likes this.
  10. Hundred proof

Hundred proof

Apr 22, 2018
    I've done these type of gigs, 2x15 every time

shadven and Rezdog like this.
  11. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    short clip of my 215 outdoors:

12. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    I voted for the 2x10s and explained exactly why. Seven people have since suggested the 15s instead, but none has explained why: They've just made it sound like a no-brainer. A 2x10 and a 1x15 are pretty similar in terms of total speaker area and hence potential volume -- all other things equal -- so I fail to see why so many folks seem to think that the pair of 15s is so obviously better that no explanation is necessary. I don't get it.

13. A strong 115 should be plenty to compliment a DRRI. I once walked across a field to see what a booming great sounding bass player was using with a rock band. 115 TNT, like this one:

[​IMG]

14. Hundred proof

Hundred proof

Apr 22, 2018
    IMG_0831.JPG I personally like the fullness of 15s, it's just what I use almost every gig other folks have a different take it's all good. At this gig I'm using 1x15 Acoustic folded horn no PA support worked great.

instrumentlevel likes this.
  15. denton57

denton57 Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2005
    Arkansas
    I’ve done a few in the past, but I’ve always had big cabs. Thought those days were over, but maybe not.

So my 15’s are in separate cabs. One is 27” LDS made to match my V4, and the other is a 24” Guild cab from the 60’s. I’m gonna roll with them stacked and the V4 off to the side.

I’ve done the vertical 2x10 thing and I just did not like it onstage. I know it matters much more out in the audience but I couldn’t feel any weight behind the notes. Side by side, different story. I get why, but I’ve never stacked them since.

16. I too am curious as to why 2 1x15's seem to be so preferable to 2 2x10's... the 'ear-level' aspect alone would tip me towards the 10's on a potentially windswept outdoor stage. I'm not defending either option, just intrigued!

Lobster11 likes this.
  17. I have a lot more experience with K-140's than the Ampeg 210's, but my personal reaction is that the JBL's have much better low end response. In a proper enclosure, of course.

18. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    I'd do the 15's

19. bherman

bherman Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2009
    Grand Junction, CO
    I'd lean more towards the 15s. I use and like 210 cabs (RevSound) but I've never cared for the way Ampeg 210 caabs sound (always seemed farty to me). Back in the day, a rig with 2 jbl 140s was the bomb.

shadven and johnk_10 like this.
  20. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    I'd use the pair of 2x10's, especially since your 15's aren't matched.