Outdoor Gig: One GS112 or Two?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ccyork, Jun 30, 2004.

1. ccyork

Jan 26, 2004
    Howdy Folks!

We have an outdoor gig coming up and I'm trying to figure out if I should get a second Aguilar GS112 to handle the show. Now before you stop reading and automatically tell me to get the second cabinet, let me explain the circumstances. I don't want to get something I really don't need. On the other hand, if I NEED it I'll get it.

Current Rig: Gallien-Krueger 700RB-II, one Aguilar GS112, Fender MIM P-Bass

Our Music: Plays blues, motown, classic rock...stuff like Sam Cooke, B.B. King, Johnny Rivers, Van Morrison, CCR, Supremes, ZZ Top, etc.

Our Band: One guitar player with a 100-watt Fender amp, played mostly clean, but not always. No PA Support for guitar. A medium-handed drummer, kick drum only going through PA. Me on the bass, no PA support. The goal is to keep me out of the PA, because the drummer has some kind of butt-thumping device hooked into his chair and my bass, and it sucks juice from the PA power amp. A singer through the PA.

The Gig: Small outdoor gig for a local festival. We will be playing under a roof with no wall behind us or in front of us, pretty much at ground level. The roof is only over the stage, not the audience. This picture is not our band, but it IS the kiosk we will be playing in...

The Audience: People will be milling around, we expect 50-100 people of all age groups, children to elderly, some perhaps sitting on blankets or lawn chairs.

OK...now the last gig we played was indoors. The room was about 4000 square feet. About 100 people. We used the setup described above. My amp was turned up to about 9:00 (1/4 way). We were asked to turn down, and we did so, still filling the room quite well. We don't play particularly loud, we just want to have a nice BALANCED sound.

I hope I've provided enough information...Will my current rig cut it, at the upcoming outdoor concert? Do I need the second GS112? And finally, if a second cab is necessary, what do you think about pairing an Ashdown MAG 210T with the GS112?

Thanks! :bassist:
  2. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    If I were in your place, I would just use what I had. I wouldn't buy a $300-400 piece of gear for just one gig (maybe that's just me?).

Is renting a cab a possibility? Renting is a very good way to try before you buy in a gig situation...
  3. Well the bassist in that picture seems to be using a combo, Hartke perhaps? If that could cut it, I'm pretty sure your Gk/Aguilar rig can as well.
  4. ccyork

Jan 26, 2004
    This is a good point...there is no drummer in the picture, though. :confused:
  5. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    I have a GS112 and although I haven't played it outdoors yet, I've found that it gets plenty loud.

My advice is buy a GS112 if you really want a second one, but don't buy one just for this one gig.
  6. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Maybe you can use the PA for some extra support?
  7. I think I'd want the extra cab, I've played outdoor shows with a full stack and still been nowhere to be found in the mix a few feet off stage. Of course we're not an overly quiet band either.

If you don't think it's something you'd use regularly, I like the renting option. Seems smart, and it would probaly only cost you like $30 instead of the few hundred it would cost to buy one.
  8. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

9. ccyork

Jan 26, 2004
    Yeah...I know!
  10. Kurisu

Nov 19, 2003
    Saskatoon SK
    I want a butt-thumping device hooked to my chair too.

Not during gigs or anything... just, you know, at work.
  11. ccyork

Jan 26, 2004
    I don't want to get off-topic, 'cause I need the advice about the cabinets, but this is the Buttkicker device:

Link to Buttkicker at Musicians Friend

One time we hooked it up to the kick drum and a platform I stood on. It reminded me of "Mr. Holland's Opus" where they gave the kid the football helmet and beat on his head. Well I still couldn't play in time...even with the buttkicker! I didn't care for it anyways. :scowl: I'll just keep practicing... :D
  12. rddog

May 30, 2003
    Park City, UT
    ROFLMAO - I have one of those, it's called a boss!

ccyork - If you can afford it and want it buy it, that is the only real justification you need. If it puts you in the hole or you really want something else - pass.

That said, I have 2 GS112's and most of the time only use one. My justification - If a gig comes up that requires 2 it's there... otherwise it's part of my home practice rig that I don't have to set up & tear down every time I rehearse or gig.

13. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    I played at an outdoor gig several weeks ago with two GS 112s powered by an Eden WT 550. Couldn't hear the bass very well so had to plug it into the PA. Should have also brought my Avatar SB 112 and my Bergantino EX 112.
  14. Playing the type of music you do, the bass definitely needs to be fat and loud. Although the single 1x12 will cover a lot of gigs, if you play out a lot you may run into situations that call for more.

So the question is, besides the outdoor gig (where I think you definitely need more), what other gigs do you need the extra cabinet for? How many times will you need it over the next 2-3 years? How tight is your cash situation? To my mind, if you might need the extra cab 3-4 times a year, it's worth buying in the long run. As noted previously, you can leave it at your rehearsal space to cut down on toting stuff around.
  15. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    If you can afford another cab-get it...you only live once! ;)
  16. ccyork

Jan 26, 2004
    Well the other day we took my rig (GK 700RB-II + GS112) outside to test how loud it would be, and we (the band) decided it probably wouldn't be loud enough to keep a tight, clean sound. We brought one of our 15" PA cabinets (Yamaha) outside and hooked that up as well, and it seemed to help things a whole lot. Sound was punchier, cleaner, and louder. You could actually feel the bass a little bit.

So what I've decided to do for now is to get an Ashdown MAG 115 cabinet to supplement the GS112. It's quite a bit cheaper than the Aguilar cabinet and I think having the extra surface area of the 15" speaker will help a lot. This will also give me more options when putting together a rig for other gigs.

If I want another GS112 later, I can still get that. Also I can pick up an Ashdown MAG 210T, and that will give me "beaucoup des options." Yeah but that's a little bit down the road. For now...I'll let y'all know how it goes. The gig is on 7/10.
  17. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Glad you were able to test ahead of time. Best of luck on your gig. I hope you have a great deal of fun.
  18. ccyork

Jan 26, 2004
    Thanks! :)
  19. tubster

Feb 5, 2003
    Southwest Spain
    You need 4 so don't worry about it - use just the 1 you have!

Outdoor gigs are notoriously tricky and getting a good sound is somewhat elusive. Try and get the other guys to work with you and keep the volume down. At the sound check, get a mate/bud "with ears" to check the levels. We all tend to turn up during the gig so at least get the guys to turn down at the beginning of the next set. Be firm!!

no, don't go out and buy another 3!!!