1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Outdoor gig today...maybe...

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by txbasschik, Apr 18, 2009.

1. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    Our drummer booked us a nice gig, local, for a biker club thing. Pays decent. Then, lo and behold, our guitarist/singer got sent out of town by his day job. So drummer got another singer...country.

Thank God its mostly straight-up country, and not the newer pop stuff, 'cause that's different and I don't listen to much of the new stuff.

Its supposed to rain off and on all day. Don't know if I wanna be rained out or not. I need the cash. But...Oh, its gonna be shaky. And the bikers are expecting rock.

Best sit down with my acoustic bass and my dad's old records, and brush up. Don't wanna suck.

Cherie :bassist:

2. jcullen24

jcullen24

Apr 11, 2009
    Denton, TX
    Gratz on the gig, but wow, just wow. Unhappy BIKERS? :ninja:

3. modulusman

modulusman Banned

Jan 18, 2004
    montana
    Hope there will be no raping and pillaging going on when you break out the Eddie Arnold. :D

4. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Good luck! Hope it turns out OK!

5. Pray for rain.

6. Does Home Depot carry chicken wire?

Randy

7. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

Named after the lack of courage of those hiding behind it?

8. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self!

Jan 25, 2006
    Frederick MD USA
    I've found that bikers usually like country. Not to worry.

9. wildhorse

wildhorse

Mar 15, 2009
    I play bass in a country band and ride a Harley. No sweat, do some Skynard, New Riders of the Purple Sage and lot's of Waylon, Willie and Merle. You'll come out alive!

10. modulusman

modulusman Banned

Jan 18, 2004
    montana
    Are you sure Cherie is still alive? She hasn't posted an update today. :D

11. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    Well, dangit, he did an end-run around me and just hired his old band! I'm glad I called him before I went over there, or I wouldn't have known. He was going to let me get up and play, and get in free, but I couldn't afford to go up there, play a few songs, and spend money on beer and someone to watch my daughter, and not play the whole show and get paid.

He was trying to be nice to me, you see...he thought he was doing the right thing. My mom is in the hospital with pneumonia, but she's stable. He just figured my head wouldn't be in the gig, and called his old band. But I needed the money pretty bad.

I forgive him. His old bassist is a country veteran. And my drummer hung in with me during a truly awful jam with some chicks at a party...half the time, we didn't know *what* that woman was playing, and a lot of drummers would have just walked off and left me. He stuck with me.

C'est la via, c'est la guerre.

Cherie

12. modulusman

modulusman Banned

Jan 18, 2004
    montana
    I thought you might have run off and joined a motorcycle gang. I figured I would see you on an episode of "Sons of Anarchy". ;)

13. Hi.

^ Nowadays motorcycle gangs have mobile internet access, so no worries if something is needed on the road ;).

Cherie, that sucks, I've been in a similarish situation and however well the intentions are, it still sucks.

I WAS going to suggest to include Achy Breaky Song, that one brings a smile to the faces, at least in here :D.

All the best for You and your mom.

Regards
    Sam

14. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    Oh, I was asked to join a biker gang. But it was going to interfere too much with my gigs.

Seriously! A girlfriend of mine wants to start a female club, and wanted me to be road captain. Ummmm...that was sweet, but I don't have time, really. And she's always pestering me to play more country. :D

Cherie ;)

15. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    Yeah...I was ready to go, and had spent hours brushing up on my country progressions. Oh well. I'm ready for it next time. :)

However, I think my head would explode if I had to play Achy Breaky. I hate that song. Its one of those things that people either really love, or really hate. I'd need a shot of really good whiskey first. :D

Mom's moving to a nursing home today. The pneumonia is in both lungs now. And my dad died eight years ago, tonight at 7 p.m. Its going to be a hard day.

Cherie

16. Hi, Cherie.

Hang in there, the old folks are tough as nails and the docs are really good these days. My dad for example is recovering extremely well from the heart attack he had just before christmas.

BTW, I was talking about Achy Breaky Song by Weird Al, not Achy Breaky Heart by, well..., everyone knows who ;). A fun tune to play and much, MUCH better lyrics :D.

All the best for Your family.
    Sam

17. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    Well...she's got a lot of other health problems, all of which she is terminal for, and is not accepting chemo for. She only wants to be kept comfortable, at this point. If she can get through the pneumonia and get back to asst. living center, she'll be alright. If not...she'll likely stay in the nursing home.

I totally forgot about the Weird Al tune! Having been bombarded with Billy Ray's song at dangerous levels of repeated exposure, I am somewhat shellshocked. :D

Thankfully, Texans are doing more two-stepping and less line-dancing these days, or so it seems, so the AchyBreaky is heard less frequently. Thank God and Doc Watson!

Cherie ;)