Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Outdoor gig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Steve S, Apr 19, 2004.

1. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    I'll be playing at an outdoor gig next month and would like some advice as to which combination of speakers to use. For indoor gigs, I like the sound of my Aggie GS 112 and Bergantino EX 112. I also have a 4 ohm Avatar SB 112 which I've never gigged with. I can't play outside around my house to try them out so have to ask for your help. I have the Eden WT 550 amp.

2. uglycicles

uglycicles Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Southwest Chicago
    Wide open space, or backyard with alot of natural enclosures?

Any PA support?

3. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    I'm not sure....I think it's a place in the woods by a river.

4. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    If you run all three cabs the Avatar would be getting 2x as much power as the other two. That will affect the overall sound but the Av should be able to handle the power as long as you avoid clipping.

I would take all three and put the Av on the end of the speaker chain. Then try the setup with and without the Av. Decide for yourself which sounds better.

Unless, your bandmates get really loud, I suspect the Ag and Berg can handle the situation (again, just avoid clipping your amp).

5. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    My opinion: outdoor gig = as many cabs as you have. Bring them all. Better to have too many than too few and drive them too hard. I have found that it takes me much, much more speaker area to cover an outdoor stage with bass than an indoor stage since there are no walls or reflective acoustics to assist with bass development. That goes for PA as well, we usually use much more PA coverage for outdoor gigs as well.

6. Take all of them.

:D

First, get a battery and make a test cable to check your speaker polarity. With multiple cabs, you have to insure all drivers move forward at the same time.

Anti-phase drivers is a bass killer.

7. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    I've never hooked up three speaker cabinets before....how do I do this?

8. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Can only be done if your amp can handle the impedance. Otherwise, you'll have to have a special series cable made so you can INCREASE your impedance as opposed to a decrease in impedance when you hook up all of your cabs.

Do a search here and you'll find plenty on this issue.

9. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    The WT-550 is rated to push 2ohm loads.
    The Berg & Ag are both 8ohm; you said the Av is 4ohm.
    If my math is right, all three paralleled should be 2ohm.

If two (or more) of the three cabs has two jacks on them, you connect the amp to one cab with two jacks, run another speaker cable to the other cab with two jacks, and then another speaker cable to the last cab.

If only one cab has two jacks and your amp has two speaker outputs, run one speaker cable to the cab with two jacks and another speaker cable from that cab to another cab, then run from the second amp speaker output to the third cab.

I'm not positive, but I believe the Berg should have two speakon connectors.

10. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    Thanks Low Freq. I didn't know that I could do that with my speakers and amp. Three speakers should give me a louder sound.

11. My advice: don't do it.

The cabs are NOMINAL 8 ohms, not actual. The actual impedance can be less at the tuning frequency, and can get as low as the DC resistance of the voice coils.

Combine a less-than 2-ohm load with a high power demand by being outside, and you have a recipe for Eden Flambe.

IMO you are too close to the edge, so build a series cable if necessary. Parallel the two 8 ohm cabs to a total of 4 ohms, then series them with the single 4 ohm cab for a grand total of 8 ohms. You won't smoke the amp doing this.

12. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Steve,

Contact Eden customer support and check with them.

They should be able to let you know if it would be safe or not.

13. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    I'll check with them. Thanks for everyone's comments and suggestions. You've been very helpful and I've learned a lot.

14. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Just one other thing I thought of, Eden is probably not going to be familiar with the minimum impedence of other brand's cabs.
    You might also check with each cab's company customer support to see if they can give you the min. imp. specs for the models you have and then pass that along to Eden.