Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Outdoor gigs: how do you stay warm?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Phat Ham, Oct 24, 2002.

1. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    Ok so I have a gig next weekend that is outdoors at night. Chances are its gonna be pretty cold out. If there's one thing that gives me trouble playing bass, it's cold. My fingers just won't move any more. Do any of you guys have suggestions for how to keep my hands nice and warm?

2. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Always a tricky one, I usually sit on my hands to warm 'em up, but at cold a outdoor gig I don't know how if that's gonna cut it.

Failing that, masturbation, if you can get away with it, between songs, and if you have your bass low enough :D

3. LoJoe

LoJoe

Sep 5, 2002
    Concord, NC USA.
    I've yet to try it with a bass, but at fall festival last year I did manage it on guitar when it was about 40 degrees out. I used some light fingerless gloves. If you can keep the blood in your palms warm, your fingers will feel a little better as a result. They have to be light gloves though or your fingers will be bogged down too much. You also might try one of those campers hand warmers. They are about the size of a pack of smokes and you can keep one in your pocket for breaks.

4. Try standing in the beam of those stage lights. Or try jumping around much..

5. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    whoa im supplying the new forum with threads

moving this one too (Performance related)

6. SMASH

SMASH Guest

Jan 18, 2000
    Canada.
    Toony Levin addresses this in his book. He uses those packet warmers in his pockets and the gloves with fingers cut out as well.

Not much you can do, save getting those propane heaters. They throw the heat a good distance so if you stand next to one of those you should be fine.

I've seen electrical versions that throw heat pretty well for not a lot of cash at Costco and places like that.

I am usually too hot onstage, but the one time I played in the cold I reverted to a one-finger technique on the right hand and kept the others warm in my fist then switched finger when the one got numb.

7. hobo gloves as i call 'em. those relaly thin gloves, cut the finger tips off so you can still play, i always have a pair in my case, my hands get cold really easliy. and in the words of my outdoor education teacher....LAYERS LAYERS LAYERS!!!
    -shoonk

8. superfreak

superfreak Unregistered

Aug 18, 2002
    Clarksville, TN
    Maybe I shouldn't state this, and it may be wrong, but why don't you get those finger rubbers they use in doctors offices. They fit individually on each finger...that may help keep your fingers warm along with the "hobo gloves"....Just my suggestion...

9. learn to use a pick in case your fingers cramp up.

10. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    playing in the cold is a stumbling block for me too.
    I've done it a few times and every time I've left the gig feeling dissapointed with my playing.
    I still haven't perfected any methods
    but I rub my hands together vigoursly between every song that I can both sides...I'll stick my hands under my armpits(kind of weird, but warm) or I'll jump up and down saying "its cold! its cold!"
    I like the gloves idea, I should try that.
    oh keep your hands dry! wet hands in cold is no fun :)

11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I know what you're saying. Sometimes it gets down into the 60's at night around here. We just tough it out.

12. You must mean 60 degrees Kelvin - right??
    ;) :D

13. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Dang. You must have to chip the layers of sheet ice off of your frozen self after each song! ;)

14. Groovski

Groovski

Sep 20, 2002
    My happy place
    For the last 4 years my band has played a Halloween party outdoors called Boosuey. (we're in Tennessee) The first 3 years it was terribly cold. They always have a fire going so I go hang out by the fire to get some feeling into my hands then tough it out for 45 - 1hr (a considerably shorter set) Between songs I grasp my hands together and then breath into them with hot breath. Hope that helps out. Good luck.

15. superfreak

superfreak Unregistered

Aug 18, 2002
    Clarksville, TN
    You also go and hug on your girlfriend:D ...thats always a plus

16. Groovski

Groovski

Sep 20, 2002
    My happy place
    :D You know thats right!!!!;)

17. Or... learn to use your fingers in case your wrist and forearm cramp up.;):p

18. ConTraBajisTa

ConTraBajisTa Guest

Oct 5, 2000
    auburn, ny
    if you think its hard playing a bass guitar in the cold, try playing the upright in the cold. the neck is alot bigger, so it makes your hands cramp up more. for marching band our competitions are at night, so its always freezing. i usually keep my hands tucked in the collar of my neck or my stomach (warmest places), breath on them, keep them moving, and don't even think about the cold, when i wouldn't think about how cold it was i couldn't feel the cold as much. sounds dumb, but works.

19. Hand warmers put them inside some thin gloves with the fingure tips cut off. you can pick them up at sporting goods store. about .99 cents each.