Outdoor rig w/ no support - brief question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Zackabinoff, Aug 4, 2018.

1. Zackabinoff

Zackabinoff

Mar 23, 2018
    Hey TB, I am playing a small outdoor gig tonight with no house support. I was thinking to use my Mesa D800 with trace elliot 4x 8ohms 800 watts for band/audience to hear me and using my subway 1x12 for personal monitor. This should not damage anything correct? I played it for a minute this morning and doesn't sound like either one is sucking volume away for another. Thanks for your time.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  2. voided3

voided3

Nov 11, 2008
    Is the Trace Elliot cab a 4x10? Will the Subway 1x12 be elevated or angled at you?

Usually the worry with a pairing like this is overpowering the smaller cabinet. As long as you can clearly hear it to make sure it’s not bottoming out, it should be ok. There can be phase issues if dissimilar cabinets are stacked, too, but to sounds like the 1x12 will positioned so it’s pointed back at you, so I don’t foresee an issue there, either.

Pbassmanca and Munjibunga like this.
  3. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    You HONESTLY will not hear yourself with just a 4x10 in a SMALL outdoor setting? Are you playing Viking Apocalypse Metal? Is Iron Maiden the headliner?

4. Zackabinoff

Zackabinoff

Mar 23, 2018
    No just thinking directionally id like to face that outward/towards the band. Then face the 12 towards me. But thanks for the sarcastic reply you were of no help.

jhb138, D.A.R.K., JeffC23 and 2 others like this.
  5. Zackabinoff

Zackabinoff

Mar 23, 2018
    Thank you! Yes i will tilt the 12 towards me. Not concerned about phase cuz i wont be stacking. Also considering using headphone jack and just going with the 4x. Never have done that so it would be a bit of a gamble but sounded good and loud in the basement

6. Hundred proof

Hundred proof

Apr 22, 2018
    I've played any number of small outdoor gigs (blue/blues rock) with no support with a 1x15.

7. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    I can't see any reason this would work any differently than if you had a wedge for your bass monitor and FOH was handled by the main speakers. In your case you're simply providing your own monitor and feeding the "FOH sound" all from your own amp. I would be careful with the low EQ and volume just to keep that 112 safe, but it was designed for that amp and if you use sound (no pun intended) judgement, I suspect it'll work okay.

The_Lucek, bassmeknik and Zackabinoff like this.
  8. Zackabinoff

Zackabinoff

Mar 23, 2018
    I should clarify, i dont think the outdoor space is necessarily small. Tho it could be, i didnt get very many details and i am not overly concerned either. Just trying to do the best i can to make sure i am heard by both band and audience and still be able to hear myself.

9. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    Sorry for the sarcasm. Now Honestly, put it by the high hat (where everybody puts their bass cab) facing the audience. Everybody in the band AND the audience will hear it.

10. Sid Fang

Sid Fang Reformed Fusion Player Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2008
    As voided3 said, the usual worry here would be damaging the 112, but that little Mesa is rated to 300W, almost as high as the 410. Instead, my concern would be that the “monitor” cab will be too loud on stage, leading you to cut the overall power such that FOH sound is weak.

Wisebass and Zackabinoff like this.
  11. Al Kraft

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    In these iffy situations I often place my bass cab behind me and next to the drummer, very slightly angled across the band towards center stage. If the monitor situation is less than ideal and I can wrangle it, I'll stand directly beside the right main (on a pole) so I get drums and bass in one ear and the FOH band mix (vocals, guitars, etc.) in the other. While I prefer good monitors, that little positioning trick will often get me what I need. The drummer is also the key band member (other than you) who needs to hear the bass and vice versa IME.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
    aprod, Hundred proof and Zackabinoff like this.
  12. Al Kraft

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    Actually its 400 Watts (and the thermal and mechanical are quite close IIRC), and you're right about the potential difficulty in getting a good stage balance and FOH volume when only using the one head to drive both speakers.

Wisebass and Zackabinoff like this.
  13. Zackabinoff

Zackabinoff

Mar 23, 2018
    That would be the hope. Caution says i should have some sort of backup.

14. Zackabinoff

Zackabinoff

Mar 23, 2018
    Balancing monitor and foh volume has me thinking i should go with just the 4x10 and utilize the headphone out jack. Hopefully it sounds just right but in the event im having difficulty hearing myself i can just throw in an ear bud or both if needed.

15. Al Kraft

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    Any way you could grab a second bass head (like maybe a back-up head) and power a speaker with each one? It would be like having a main and monitor amp.

16. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

i actually think Paulabass 's post was a good reminder to all about what happens outdoors with the equipment we use: without walls/ceiling as baffles = the loud/low thing disappears!

i thought the other part was just funny! we're getting different mileage variations. cool beans

17. Zackabinoff

Zackabinoff

Mar 23, 2018
    There could be another rig, backyard fest so there will be other performers

Pbassmanca likes this.
  18. Al Kraft

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    That's the ticket! See if one of the folks will let you use a head or power amp/mixer to run your 112.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  19. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    ^ I guess I'm just not picturing what you're trying to achieve. Bands have pretty much set up the same way since about 1965. Whatever your plan, I hope it works well :bassist:

20. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    I use one 4x10 for 90% of my outdoor gigs, and I'll use two if there is a sidewind. These are BIG stages.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021