1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Outdoor sound tendencies

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PotsdamBass8, Aug 5, 2012.

1. PotsdamBass8

PotsdamBass8 Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    When playing an outdoor gig, with the knobs at the same place as when playing indoors, is it normal for the lows to not come through nearly as much and for there to be a greater mid presence (from the perspective of about 10 feet in front of the setup)?

2. ddnidd1

ddnidd1 Supporting Member

Yes. You don't have four walls reflecting sound back to you.

3. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    I want to be Tesla (tinkerer at Dayton Amp Co)
    Yep, that's a normal observation. I've really noticed this when playing DB outside versus inside.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    This is true, but you don't need to go too overboard in the other direction to compensate. Usually a decent little bump will suffice.

5. PotsdamBass8

PotsdamBass8 Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    Thanks, that helps. I haven't played outdoors in a number of years and my first thoughts were that there was something wrong with the rig. I think more clearly after the gig most of the time...

6. bobcruz

bobcruz

Mar 10, 2004
    CA
    Bring your deepest sounding speakers, and more of them, for an outdoor gig--that's my rule. Even if it's just for stage sound and there's a P.A. for the listeners.

7. The lack of a wall behind your rig drops your low end by 6dB, like you unplugged one cab from a fully powered two cab stack. The directional frequencies carry on like normal, instant thinness.