1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Outer winding came loose.

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by fuzzy beard, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Installed my new silver slaps yesterday. And noticed today the outer winding on the A string came loose above the nut. Is there anything I can do to keep it from entering the playing length of the string?

2. Tell the distributor or manufacturer that you got a defect A. They will probably send you a new one.
    In the meantime put some tape around (maybe secure it with some rubber band) or put some similar sized tube over the part. (Shrinking tube for electronics is not bad, but heating it up might damage the string, so better use it as it is.)

3. I am going to contact them. Was kind of thinking about super glue to help stop it at the nut. I dont want to try to do anything that requires taking the string loose. I dont want it to run down the string!

4. Electrical tape until the warranty replacement string arrives. Take a photo first.

5. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    Did you widen the nut and bridge slots to accommodate the greater girth of the Silver Slaps? Other wise you'll be tearing the winding off all your strings. :(

6. low2groove

low2groove Tyranis 4 / Lower Groove Guitars

Jan 21, 2007
    Heat shrink tubing on the string after the nut. It'll heat and be fully shrunk in seconds. You'll never damage the string.

I give all strings a good 90° angle bend when I install them. I only use DR's and you have to do that with those or risk poor intonation or a complete unwrapping.

7. DR doesn't make doublebass strings.

8. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Yet there are a bunch of old threads about them here for some reason.

9. The outer wire possibly snapped at the peg.
    Happened to me several times!
    Check there are no sharp angles near the peg's holes.
    Use a round file if needed.

10. I hope the OPs of those posts don't spend much time in the woods.

11. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    :)

12. ctxbass

ctxbass Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Central Texas
    Check posts two and three from the OP's original thread:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f17/strings-my-kay-966503/

13. Yes I did open them up and rounded the corners also. The break in the winding appears to be above the nut letting the winding slinky down towards the nut.

14. There making it right hurray for customer service!

15. Mark Gollihur

Mark Gollihur Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 19, 2000
    Mullica Hill, NJ
    Owner/President, Gollihur Music LLC
    That's great! And not surprising, given our past experience with them. Glad to hear that they are replacing the string for you.

As others have mentioned, I would strongly recommend closely double-checking the nut slot for sharp edges or a "tight fit." A so-called "slot" should really be more of an indent, not deeper than half the diameter of the string; deep slots can pinch a string, and even possibly snag the windings as you tune - especially on a nylon-wound string like the Innovations. You may want to use a small rattail file (or folded sandpaper) to round them to better accommodate the string's diameter, if the new strings are larger than the old ones. You can also lubricate the indents... You can use some pencil lead (graphite) to act as a lubricant.

Forgive me if you already know/do most or all of these tips (which is duplicated on our FAQ for stringing upright basses) but I thought it might be worth sharing this advice for other bassists who may find this thread now and in the future. :)

16. Never hurts to have that info out there. I also read it on the papers you sent with my strings. I followed all yoir steps. After emailing with them it seems the outer winding was broken by the tunning peg.

And I want to say thanks to mark here also. His store was very helpful in helping me decided on strings. Very easy to order from, and the strings came with a ton of great info on how to install them. And even after I had problems I called back and a employee directed me to the contact info to get the problem fixed. Thanks!