Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Outkast bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by msangster, Oct 9, 2004.

1. Does anyone know what kind of bass was played on Oatkast's song Prototype?

2. Esoterik

Esoterik

Jun 20, 2004
    Don't know what kind of bass is being played. But the bass playing is Friggin DOPE!!! ....ain't it. Love those double stops and chords that are being played. :cool:

3. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    Oh Yeah! So this is my wife's cd and we were listening to it through town and even though it isn't my firtst choice of music it did seem fresher and more original than what I hear on the radio then all of a sudden....Prototype starts up...ahhh what a pretty guitar part and then...bawump. Niiiiice...

4. EternalDarkness

EternalDarkness

Sep 22, 2004
    London
    I don't know which bass they used, but that track is really great :)

Weren't Outkast the band who made the song "I'm sorrry Miss Jackson"? I love that song :cool:

5. If I remember correctly, he plays a Rickenbacker in the Hey Ya! video. I haven't heard Prototype though, but maybe it's the same one.

6. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Duh. :ninja:

7. well, i don't really know much about outkast, but i remember reading a bass player article saying that the bass player played a yamaha bass, if that helps!
    i think his name was preston crump?

i really don't know though!

Charlie

8. Worshiper

Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    actually I believe the bass that's in the heya video is a warwick but I havn't seen it in a while so I may be wrong. And to answer your question...Andre benjarmin plays a lot of his own bass stuff. And he plays warwicks often. As for my guess- its a warwick

9. ceeprm

ceeprm

Jul 15, 2002
    Edinburgh Scotland
    The bassplayer on prototype is Aaron mills and he plays either a Spector or a Lakland or something else....

10. in the hey ya MV, he is playing a ric

11. Maybe he's never seen the video. :meh:

12. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Okay, time for a view from the "inside". ;) If Debra Killings (TRB) or "P Groover" Crump (BB) played it, it's a Yamaha. If Aaron Mills played it, it's a Lakie. Andre has a Warwick deal, but he also owns a P and a Rick.

13. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I also read in Bass Player that Debra Killings said her Squire PRecision Bass Special Five is her main studio bass.

14. EternalDarkness

EternalDarkness

Sep 22, 2004
    London
    wow :eek:

I thought on albums you would be using Fenders, etc, but not Squiers :D

15. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I'm not surprised that a good musician would use a cheap bass. The Squire Precision Bass Special Five has a comfortable neck with wide string spacing and it gets a good J-bass sound. The pickups are noisy, but Debra Killings could have had her bass shielded. She is definitely a pro-level player, and in her hands, that Squier and any other decent bass, will sound good. I have often heard stories of studio musicians using inexpensive basses. Remember they are there to be recorded, not seen.

16. EternalDarkness

EternalDarkness

Sep 22, 2004
    London
    The Squier P Bass 5 sounds sweet :)

Out of interest, if her bass is Shielded, does that mean she simply put a metal frame over the pickups to stop them being noisy?
    I only heard about shileding recently but don't know about it.

17. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    She probably would have had the control are shieled with paint or some sort of foil. that would great reduce noise.

18. EternalDarkness

EternalDarkness

Sep 22, 2004
    London
    Sweet, thanks for the info Dr. Cheese :)

19. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Maybe the track wasn't cut during the shooting of the video?

:D

Anyone think Chevy Chase and Paul Simon played all the instruments on "You Can Call Me Al"?

;)