Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

outkast!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Bayou_Brawler, Mar 22, 2004.

1. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Anybody been listening to outkast?

30% of the stuff they record is super funky and cool. they borrow a lot from p-funk.

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Yeah, they have really matured over the years. though, even their earliest stuff was very heavy on the superb lyrical content. I'm still not a big fan, because well, a lot of their stuff just doesn't sound too great to me, but I definitely dig a lot of cuts off their latest album, and I really dig the southernplayalisticadillacmuzik

3. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    yeah i wish they sold hip hop albums with only the good stuff on it.

4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Dr. Dre's 'the chronic' borrows A LOT from Parliament too, though the lyrical content is far less inspired.

Another guy you might really dig, is Del the funky Homosapien, his first album "I wish my brother george was here" was produced by George Clinton, and is funky as hell, AND the rapping is playful, light hearted, but still meaningful. He specifically goes out of his way to AVOID the gangsta ****, so he rhymes about life, and the good and the bad things that happen.

his last album was far less funky, but his lyrical content has always been superb, he's working on a new album where he's doing most of the production, so that should be neat.

edit: in fact, now that I think about it, a lot of early 90s hip hop was really good in that respect, very funky stuff. Pete Rock would be another guy to check out.

5. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    You want great hip hop-check out Eyedea & Abilities-First Born. Amazing hip hop CD. Local MPLS hip hop.

6. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Eyedea is a great freestyle emcee, from what I understand, he defeated Eminem many years ago at...hmm..I think it was the blaze battle, but I could be mistaken.

he's still very amazing. As well is that album, not particularly funky stuff, but absolutely great rapping.

7. jb63

jb63

Jan 3, 2002
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Check me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like Bruce Dickinson from Iron Maiden sang back-up on one of their tunes.