Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Outkast's "I Like The Way You Move"

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by malthumb, Jan 11, 2004.

1. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    I have become totally hooked on the groove of Outkast's "I Like The Way You Move". It's very '70s funk, so it's right up my alley.

Anybody know who / where it's sampled from? It's driving me nuts that I can't come up with this one.

Peace,

James

2. rick1906

rick1906

Jun 6, 2002
    NC
    I know. I'm trying to figure out where it comes from too.

3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I have heard the song, but I don't know.

It doesn't really sound like it was sampled, the horns sound pretty fresh. But that hook, does sound like it has happened before ;)

I remember reading about how outkast did a lot of new stuff, and less sampling on this latest album.

I dunno, It is a pretty groovy song regardless.

The instrumental version is available on the iTunes music store(along with the whole album)

4. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Oh yeah...I have this album in my car and I was going to look for you yesterday but I forgot. I'll try and remember today if someone else doesn't.

brad cook

5. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Well it definitely has that Earth, Wind & Fire sound to it. I don't think it is a sampled or copied hook. I could be wrong though!

6. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Oh, believe me, if it were Earth, Wind, and Fire I'd already have it. My favorite group, ever.

It does sound like the sort of groove EWF would do, though, and that is probably why I'm diggin' on it.

Peace,

James

7. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Funny you mentioned EWF. I was talking to someone in their camp on Sunday, and here's the setup for the Grammys: EWF is going to play with Big Boy on "I Like The Way...", and Parliament is going to play with Dre on "Hey Ya".

8. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Now that I would like to see! Probably won't get shown over here though. :(

9. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Cool. That might even get me to watch the Grammys for once.

Funny coincidence, I was just saying to my ex-wife that Outkast in some ways struck me as aspiring to be the P-Funk of the 21st century....

10. EVERYONE seems to like that song...even my dad does :eek:

11. TheListPunk

TheListPunk Guest

Feb 2, 2002
    Topeka, Kansas
    I do believe it is a Sleepy Brown song. Which is the guy that is singing the chorus. I'm fairly sure of it.

josh

12. Another OutKast song you will all appreciate... it's called Prototype and is on Andre 3000's half of the album, called A Love Below.

13. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I'm not saying it is EWF but it definitely has that vibe. Even my wife said it sounded like an EWF song. I have everything EWF too and I don't recall any song it resembles but hey, it could be one of those tunes we always skip over 'cause we don't really like it?! I love EWF and it's a shame Maurice can't hang anymore.

14. tea

tea

Sep 30, 2003
    Maryland
    Lot of funky songs on those cd's...on Andree's : Dracula's Wedding, Cupid Valentino, and Roses. Forget the title of the one on Big Boi's, but track number 4 is funktastic. Chip chop it up, shoot the breeze.

tea

15. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    I'm with you now. I misunderstood your first post.

Went to see EWF about a month and a half ago. They still put on an excellent show, but you're right about Maurice. I was really disappointed that they took second billing to the Isley Brothers. I like the Isley Brothers, but come on!

Peace,

James