1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Outlet Voltage Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by durdentk, Feb 17, 2008.

1. durdentk

durdentk

Feb 16, 2008
    Hey guys, first off I will let you know what equipment I have:

Ampeg Svt 6 pro
    BBE Maxcom
    Korg Dtr2000
    Mesa Boogie Powerhouse 1000
    art ps4x4 pro

At my jamspace my power conditioner is reading on average 109v from the outlet. At my house and at most places it reads 120v - 125v from the outlet. I live in canada as well and what I am wondering is if my equipment is safe to be running at only 109v? Thanks a lot guys I tried searching for an answer to this question but I couldn't find one.

2. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    6PRO will be OK. Power will be about 15% or so low, but you won't notice that, probably.

If the power is also not stable, you may have drop-outs of sound if the voltage falls well below 100V.

3. durdentk

durdentk

Feb 16, 2008
    Thanks for the fast response. I havent noticed the voltages going below 100 yet. But I am also not constantly watching the voltage display the entire time I am playing. So all in all my equipment should be safe then right?

4. Stromrider

Stromrider

Feb 16, 2008
    CT, USA
    Mains voltage is described as anywhere between 110vac and 120vac. So 109vac is with the tolerance, as is 125vac, but 100vac or 130vac would be bad.

5. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    I maybe wrong but I don't think supplying too little voltage is going to do anything bad to your amp in terms of actual damage. The amp will likely operate adequately over a wide range of voltages. If you contact ampeg you should probably tell you what range it will work over. Maybe if you contact bob lee from QSC on this forum he might also be able to give some info on what kind of voltages an amp can take. It's not something I would worry to much about anyway

6. durdentk

durdentk

Feb 16, 2008
    Awesome guys, I am really glad theres probably nothing to be worried about:) Thanks again

7. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    The UL test for any product is the marked voltage plus or minus 10%. So for 120V, the maximum is 132V and the minimum is 108, and any product with UL etc should be fine over that range.

Of course it will probably operate well below that. Most units will operate below 100V on 120V tap, but no guarantee of that.