Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Outlook or Outlook Express synchronizing on wireless

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Barfly, Sep 19, 2005.

1. Barfly

Barfly

Dec 27, 2000
    GTA, Canada
    I have recently set up a wireless home network with our desktop and new laptop.

Is there a way to see our emails (one account) on both machines?

I can open OL or OLE on the desktop, and check/read emails. But when I go to the laptop, those new emails do not show up and visa versa laptop to desktop.

Can I not see all new emails on both machines? As I said, this is our common family email account.

Thanks,
    Steve

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Set it up so the mail server leaves a copy of the e-mail on the server, and does not download it to a computer. This is an option with Comcast.

-Mike

3. Barfly

Barfly

Dec 27, 2000
    GTA, Canada

Thanks Mike!

4. whoapower

whoapower

Jul 14, 2005
    Austin, TX
    It isn't an option with comcast, it is an option in outlook/outlook express or even thunderbird (www.mozilla.org). I'd suggest that you leave the mail on the server for 3 days and delete messages from the server once they are deleted locally.

5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Yeah, I just meant it is an option with ISP's like Comcast, which is what I use.

-Mike

6. Barfly

Barfly

Dec 27, 2000
    GTA, Canada
    But once they are read, do they dump off or is it only unreads that dump off?

7. whoapower

whoapower

Jul 14, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Doesn't matter if they are read or not. What happens is outlook/OE fetches the email on the server. By default, it will remove them from the server at the time of fetching them. In the advanced properties, you can select "leave on server for X number of days".

8. In technobabble, see if you can use IMAP (Internet Message Access Protocol) instead of POP3 as your protocol (check documentation by your mail provider and options in your accounts).

IMAP has the advantage of always leaving the mail on server. POP just fetches and stores locally. So you also lose your mail in a harddisk crash. The only downside to IMAP is that you have to have a working internet connection if you want to read your old mails, and that space is much more limited (think mb on a remove server instead of gb on local harddisk).