Output Convertor by Glockenklang. What´s this?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jock, Apr 2, 2005.

  1. jock


    Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I don´t even know what it does so this might not be the right forum. :D

    My guess is it converts the load seen by the amp so a solid state amp can give full fower at 8 ohms instead of 4 ohms. At least that´s what I hope it does. ;)

    Anyone? :help:
  2. You're exactly right, it's a transformer. :) Sometimes labelled an "autoformer" for speaker applications.

    Unlike some of the other "power switching devices" that are being touted around here, this is the only way to correctly convert odd speaker loading. The drawbacks: the weight, and a very slight amount of power is dissipated by the transformer (nothing's 100% efficient).