output in active basses less than passive?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Matt R Miller, May 25, 2004.

1. Matt R Miller

Matt R Miller

Apr 27, 2003
    I'm going to to be looking for a new bass later this summer, mainly because my current bass (conklin gt5) has very low output. it has a 2 band conklin pre-amp and conklin pups. when i compare it to my passive squire P the volume is barely over half of the squire's. the result is the active bass not being loud enough to play with drums and just one guitar through an ampeg b2r > 2x12 portabass cab. do you think my conklin is one of the lower output basses out there or can i expect a similar output from say...a stingray 5 or a new active mtd kingston heir? if i have to go passive to retain the volume i wouldnt mind a lakland skyline JO5.
  2. frigo

frigo burn in hell!

Dec 8, 2003
    on some basses you can adjust the output volume on the electronic board, either, you might just need to set the pickup closer to the strings
  3. Matt R Miller

Matt R Miller

Apr 27, 2003
    ok ill look in the control cavity for some sort of volume adjust...however i'm at school right now and won't be able to check until after work this afternoon.

thanks for the help
  4. Which input on your amp are you using? Are you comparing the Conklin into an active input vs. the Squier into a passive input? If so, that could explain why you're getting less volume from the Conklin. I've been experimenting lately with my KSD Jazz bass, and running it active into my amp's active input produces much less volume and presence than running it passive into the passive input.
  5. if a bass has less output you just turn up the gain on the amp more.
  6. hondo8671

Apr 22, 2004
    thats why i like my cirrus 5 (18 volt ) it rocks!!! :bassist: