1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Output jack cutting out on my Warwick Thumb

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by TDM, Apr 24, 2010.

1. TDM

TDM

Aug 9, 2009
    Yorkshire, UK
    The output jack on my Thumb seems to cut out when I push the plug in a particular direction (towards the headstock) so when I'm playing it occasionally cuts out. It's not a massive problem, just a little annoying. Is there anything I can do to fix it without replacing the jack? I have an appropriate sized wrench but it is very difficult to remove because the nut seems to be recessed into the wood slightly in the cavity so I can't get the wrench in properly.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

See what I mean about the nut?

2. RTL

RTL House Chicken Enthusiast Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Leander, TX
    As a former Warwick fanatic, I'll tell you straight up.. Warwick jacks are garbage, and they will fail. I've had 4 or 5 Warwicks, and I've had to replace the jack on every single one. It's just the nature of these basses.

AllParts makes an awesome replacement.

3. calebbarton

calebbarton

Aug 25, 2007
    Oregon
    I manufacture for several companies including but not limited to: Bridge City Sound, Catalinbread, more.
    i would get a new jack from switchcraft. try to resolder that black wire connection before anything else. that looks kinda crappy to me. and if you are gonna do that, re solder everything coming off that jack.

4. +1 awesome basses....but the jacks :rollno:

5. TDM

TDM

Aug 9, 2009
    Yorkshire, UK
    I have no problem with soldering another jack on. I've sourced Switchcraft and Neutrik Jacks for decent prices. My current problem is getting the thing out! The nut is recessed slightly and I can't get a spanner or a pair of pliers in there.

6. willyrep

willyrep

Mar 4, 2008
    New Orleans
    +1000 to this.

7. RTL

RTL House Chicken Enthusiast Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Leander, TX
    Easy... Just do what I did..

Unsolder the connections at the jack, use your finger and thumb (or a wrench, if you're weak!) to hold the nut in place, and just unscrew the jack by the prongs.