1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Output Jack Grounding Question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by secretface, Apr 28, 2010.

1. secretface

secretface

Apr 16, 2008
    Ohio
    I noticed that most of my basses have a ground from the tone pot to the output jack. However, my two Mexican Jazz Basses do not. I was wondering if this was typical on stock Jazz Basses and if there would be some frequencies bled off if I installed one. All opinions or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks! (All basses mentioned have the standard passive no frills wiring.)

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    The idea isn't that the tone pot is special for this purpose or that any tone effect is involved--it's just that in a VVT setup the tone pot is the one closest to the output jack. That's all. There will nearly always be a common ground between the pots and the output jack.

3. secretface

secretface

Apr 16, 2008
    Ohio
    Just for the record there is no ground wire to the output jacks. Just a hot to the tip! (And your compressor site is such a time suck!)

4. SamanthaCay

SamanthaCay Like bass guitar OMG!

Nov 16, 2008
    Denver, CO.
    Your jazz basses have metal control plates that work as the ground thus eliminating the need for a wire.