Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Output jack on Roscoe SKB 3006

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Ty McNeely, Apr 6, 2004.

1. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    I'm not sure why, but the output jack on my new (used) Roscoe will not hold my Monster Bass cable. The weight of the cable is enough to pull it out of the jack. Any ideas to fix it?

2. Tim__x

Tim__x

Aug 13, 2002
    Alberta, Canada
    A: Replace the jack.

B: Use a lighter cable.

C: If it's an open style jack you could try pushing the contacts in a little.

3. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    The usual way is to loop the cable through the strap where it attaches to the bottom of the body.

4. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    Tried it.

It works sometimes, but then there are times that it just shoots out for no reason.

5. I have the same problem. It seems a silly input design. You can't get a cable to stay in.

Edit. Fixed it. Or at least, it's better than it was. I took out the 2 screws holding in the input jack, pulled out the jack a bit. I had a little skinny wrench from Ikea or something like that, it happened to fit the washer in there. I held the washer with the wrench, and unscrewed the black jack plate with a pair of pliers. It was really tight, but it loosened, I was very careful not to pull on the wires or put any pressure it wouldn't like on it. So, with the black jack plate removed, I took off the washer, and then screwed the jack plate back on, which leaves the end of the jack cylinder sticking out a little further, so you can plug your cables into it without hitting the jack plate now. With the cable wrapped around your strap, it's much more solid, and doesn't fall out. Hope that helps. It's been bugging me for a while.

6. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    yep, that's the fix.

take off the electrosocket jack cup, loosen the jack off of it (a soldering iron can be good to break the loc-tite holding it in there), lose the spacer nut and washer if any, tighten the jack back into the electrosocket.

a side-benefit is you'll now be able to use a right-angle cable in the bass, which is much better for looping through the strap anyway.