Output jack replacement?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by BassBaron, Feb 5, 2002.

1. BassBaron

Jul 20, 2001
    San Jose, CA
    My Spector ns2000q5 pops with the slightest movement of the cord and no amount of contact spray will fix it so I think I have to repalce the output jack. The problem, however, is that I'm a little fuzzy on what kind of jack to get. Currently, it has a 3 conductor jack with one lead going to the negative battery terminal, and the other 2 going to the preamp. Is this just a stereo jack with the middle contact going to battery ground? I know the third lead turns the battery on/off, but am not sure if its some kind of special switch or just shorts something...

Anybody know common configurations?
  2. I'm sure that the third pin is to switch the preamp on as soon as you put a cable into the jack. I guess a EMG Ultrajack should work
  3. Sorin Cristea

Sorin Cristea

Jan 15, 2002
    Even though I never had the opportunity to repair a Spector,your problem seems to be a classical one.
    It's most probably that those 2 wires going to the preamp are switching on the power (battery) on when you plug the jack.
    The best method is,however,to check all the stuff with a multi-meter.First,you have to measure on an opened jack,wich is plugged in,what are the shorts (for this,use Ohm-meter,wich will show a short-cut or an infinite resistance,depending on what you touch!)
    Then,you should measure with the DC-voltmeter what connection makes each of those three legs on the guitar mother-jack,and you'll get 9V DC (the battery) or nothing,also depending on what you touched!
    Maybe it's look a little complicated (or my explanation isn't as clear as it should be),but it's the best method to find out what you need.
    And,also,don't forget that it's a slight chance to ruin your preamp,if you'll replace with the wrong jack...
  4. Just replace it with a new Switchcraft output jack. When my output jack started acting-up I replaced it for $20.

$10 or less for the jack &
    $10 or less for the shop to install it.

Good as new.
  5. BassBaron

Jul 20, 2001
    San Jose, CA
    Thanks fellers,

A $9 Switchcraft stereo jack was a direct replacement, more secure then the Korean job, too!