Output Jack - Side or Front?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by frederic b. hodshon, Mar 7, 2001.

1. FRONT

20 vote(s)
  2. SIDE

30 vote(s)
  3. BACK

4 vote(s)

2 vote(s)
  5. NECK

0 vote(s)

1 vote(s)
  1. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA

Just got my Graphtech Piezo system today!!!

So, a poll!!!

Where do you all prefer the output jacks on your basses?

2. Headstock! ROFL!!
    Funny stuff, man.
    All three of my basses have the output jacks on the front.
  3. Never owned anything but Fenders, and they've always had their jacks on the front. Gotta say that putting a jack in a brittle plastic pickguard wasn't very smart though. Anyone else busted a bunch of pickguards on a P-bass?

Far prefer the metal control plate on the J.

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Shouldn't this be in Basses rather than "Setup" - it's not really something you can change, "set up" or choose - it's nearly always just how the bass comes!
  5. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    I did. Cost me $35 to fix it.
  6. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA

i've had similar posts to this moved from BASSES to SETUP.

7. If this was in Basses, I probably would have moved it to at least Miscellaneous - It's not really about a bass or brand of bass, it's about a part of a bass. Like strings or pickups. Except output jacks don't warrant an entire forum dedicated to them!

Anyhow, I prefer the front, and wish more manufacturers would do that. I've wrecked a few jacks on the bottom by plopping down on the couch while plugged in... :(
  8. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I prefer side jacks, better usability and look, IMO.

And for Stingray5's problem, why don't you replace that straight plug with an angled(90°) one, it'll fit unless the jack is recessed too far into the body...
  9. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

It doesn't matter much to me if the jack is on front or side, but i think that putting it on back of the instrument is a terrible idea. I say this because i had a chance to play an 80's Riverhead headless (Steinberger-like) bass that had the input jack (which had a locking system-never seen that) on back. It's so uncomfortable. I'd like to know what were the designers thinking. :)
  10. I had one of those for the longest time and it was perfect! But it's gone now and I can't seem to find any good cords that come like that. Do you know anyone that makes them?
  11. I go for the jack on the front- easier to put the bass down/ in a stand- but I need to get another angled 1/4in jack- I had a regular lead on which I changed the straight plug for a Switchcraft angled one - it worked great- less strain on the P-bass pickguard- until I left it at a studio:(
  12. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    While this is not something that is generally changed...it does have to do with the overall setup of a basses controls....NOT a particular bass....:)
  13. Ned

Jan 27, 2000
    I really like the angled jacks on the front, like on Strats. Not to many basses have these, though, so my next choice is on the side.
  14. red_rhino

red_rhino Gold Supporting Member

On the side. Makes the front look cleaner.

15. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Same here...but on some basses I like them on the front, it makes the bass look "busy" and sorta techie. Like on the Ibanez EDBs, EDCs, and EDAs...
  16. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

OK but you have to admit it's not about "setup" as such! If you got to a shop and ask for a "setup" they aren't going to include changing the position of the output jack in the price! :rolleyes:

Maybe it should be Miscellaneous? ;)
  17. Randy Payne

Randy Payne

Jan 1, 2001
    I prefer on the side, because I'm scared about the front. Reason? If you have a rear-routed bass, and a front mounted jack, then the jack is screwed to a thin section of wood. If you ever trip over the cord real hard, and the cord is not wrapped around the lower strap, you could yank the jack right out the front of the bass, thus doing serious damage.

I've seen basses where this has happened!

18. Maybe, but I don't moderate this forum! ;)
  19. For some reason, I really like the side output jack. I'd like to try that headstock idea sometime.............
  20. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    HEY! Move the danged thread, or don't. But how about a little less jaw-jacking over it, OK?