Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Output Jack Woes

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Dave Metts, Jun 27, 2002.

1. So I finally decided to work on fixing the pesky output jack on my Zon. Basically, it only works when I loop the cord through the strap and make sure that it stays tightly held like that.... Needless to say, this isn't a good thing.

I finally managed to get the output jack out of the bass, but it's a closed design and I can't get to the things inside to bend them back... As such, I've come to the conclusion that I need to replace the jack. I've heard a few people say that it's a good idea to stay away from what is sold at Radio Shack and go with Neutrik or Switchcraft. I've checked all of the local music stores, and they don't seem to have anything. So, how should I go about finding one of these magical jacks?

Thanks!

2. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    goto www.partsexpress.com and order yerself a Switchcraft mono 1/4" phone plug jack. They are gonna be very cheap and you save if you buy in bulk.

3. Simple and effective!

much obliged :)

4. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Dont get the mono Jack if your bass is active!

Most active basses have the electronics turned on and off when the bass is plugged in.

This only works correctly if the jack is stereo or a
    special switching kind.

I hope I replied soon enough.

Peace
    Nick

5. Now I'm all kinds of confused! :D

I guess I could just order one of each since they're only like $2. BTW, I didn't see Switchcraft -- just Neutrik.

6. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    If keeping the bass in its present condition were not an issue, I would personally get the Neutrik locking jack like the one they have on Conklins.

Its stereo, and since its locking, you dont need to worry about having your cord pulled on and having the same thing happen again.

On the other hand, you will need to drill a pretty big hole, and It might ont fit on you bass.

I have a G&L with the same problem as yours, and I wont get one because I dont want to chew the thing up, but I will be putting one on my next bass.

I guess it all depends on what your Zon is to you.

A lifetime workbass, or a work of art that may be sold in the future.

Peace
    Nick

7. In all honesty the ones from Radio Shack are ok. If you have good soldering then that aspect shouldn't fail and any good soldering will reduce noise.

So too, this is a mechanical device of sorts, it is held mechanically in there by the metal arm. So the ones from radio are fine, as long as you make that contact.

The lifespan of the device is up to you, if you want to go jumping around on stage like a rockstar, fine, but regardless of brand name of no, it'll still kill it.

Merls

8. Well, I don't do any jumping around, especially since this is a fretless bass. :D I checked Radio Shack and they didn't have any 1/4" closed barrel jacks, so I'm still looking. That site given above doesn't have the jacks I'm looking for in stock, so my search continues. In the meantime I did solder my old jack back in so it's in at least semi-working order.

9. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    The Neutrik locking is good even if you dont jump around.

Im sure we've all steped on a cord and pulled it out of our jack before, or just had it pull on the bass. This jack is designed to protect against that.

I also disagree with you that the Radio Shack Jack would be just as good. I think that the metals used could be different so that the metal Radio Shack uses could have a lower elastic limit than another more expensive jack. Im not saying this is the case, but it could be.

Peace
    Nick

10. I aint going to start a flamewar...

There's a place here Dick Smith Electronics it has most radio shack gear, and i get all my stuff from there. Hasn't failed me yet. Its one of those things, they're all made in the same factory by the same poor souls who get $2 an hour.... :rolleyes:

:D:D

Merls

11. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I wasnt going for a flame war either, I was just saying that there could be a difference.

Id still go for the locking, but I guess it depends on your needs.

Peace
    Nick

12. Well, I definitely think a locking jack is a fairly bad idea for this application since I'd need to do some modification to the body for it. This would be a non-issue if it weren't for the fact that I'm strongly thinking about getting rid of this bass in the near future and don't want to diminish the resale. :)

13. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    How about you put the locking jack on and sell it to me for say..... $200?

J/K I wont even do this on my G&l because Im worried about ruining the resale value, and I plan on keeping mine for at least 7 years.

I still think it would be a good choice otherwise and I am thinking about installing it on the bass im building though. Either that or a midi jack which will be wired with two seperate output signals and 18volts of power for the active electronics.

Peace
    Nick