Output jack

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by fruitlabor, Oct 15, 2017.

1. fruitlabor

fruitlabor Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2007
    I purchased a Notdstand prewired preamp used but never installed. It still has the output jack attached. It has a free hanging wire that appears that it is to grounded to something. My question is this... I have a bass with a flush output that's like Ibanez. Can anyone tell me how to wire this preamp output wires to the Ibanez type output jack. It has 3 pins on it

2. The signal goes to the tip terminal, the battery goes to the ring terminal, and the sleeve terminal is the ground.

3. fruitlabor

Apr 6, 2007
    I really understood what this means. I can't tell which is which on this output. What is ground, which goes to the preamp out and what's the raw wire for. Never seen it on any other preamp

4. Copy the existing wiring. Whatever goes to the tip terminal on the old jack should go to the tip terminal on the new jack. The same goes for the ring and sleeve.

5. fruitlabor

Apr 6, 2007
    I don't think it was wired properly. There's 3 different lengths. Is it a way of knowing by length?

6. What kind of jack do you have? For a barrel jack, the typical convention is for the short terminal to be the tip, the medium terminal to be the ring, and the long terminal to be the sleeve. It is always best to verify with an Ohm meter, however.

fruitlabor likes this.
  7. fruitlabor

Apr 6, 2007
    Sorry, I understand preamp output goes to long, ground goes short, etc. Ring and tip I'm not real knowledgeable about that. I can see a diagram but none shows hot, ground, preamp out to?or such. I appreciate you trying to help. I'm just not too knowledgeable or this type of jack.

8. Take pictures of your parts.

Bob Lee (QSC) likes this.
  9. fruitlabor

Apr 6, 2007
    Will do later this afternoon. Thank you for your help.

10. Michael B

Michael B

Dec 16, 2015
    Lowell, MA
    If you have a multimeter you can check the continuity of the wires against the parts of the output jack to tell which wire goes to which. You beep it out as they say.

Line6 knows his stuff. You are in good hands.

Charley Umbria likes this.
  11. Flippy

Flippy

Jun 9, 2017
    Europe
    The "free hanging wire" sounds like bridge ground, if your bass bridge is grounded then you don't need to worry about that one

bholder likes this.
  12. fruitlabor

Apr 6, 2007
    It is grounded. Thank you

13. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    The output jack that preamps use is a TRS because it is also acts as the on/off switch for the preamp. When the 1/4" TS instrument cable is inserted, its 'Shaft' section shorts out the jacks 'Ring and Shaft' contacts completing the circuit that turns it on.

14. fruitlabor

Apr 6, 2007
    So do I need to mod my bass to accommodate this type of jack instead?

15. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    Does the attached jack on the preamp have three or two lugs?

16. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Phrasing.

DrewinHouston, Flippy and Coolhandjjl like this.
  17. fruitlabor

Apr 6, 2007
    I know the one needs to be cleaned up. I want to put the wires on the one in the cavity. It has 3 posts. IMG_0849.JPG IMG_0848.JPG

18. fruitlabor

Apr 6, 2007
    Pictures posted.

19. fruitlabor

Apr 6, 2007
    Can anyone help please

20. fruitlabor

Apr 6, 2007
    Anyone?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021