Output Problem: P/J Configuration

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by rashrader, Aug 3, 2005.

1. rashrader

Mar 4, 2004
    Baltimore, MD
    My recently acquired Pedulla Pentabuzz has a problem.

The output on the P Pickup is extremely uneven. The half that is on the G and D strings is almost completely silent. It sounds as though there is almost no output. The half on the remaining strings is very present,. The J Pickup is fine with full and even output across all strings. I have adjusted the pickup properly and to the extremes, still there is no output on the one half.

I have soldering experience, so fire away with your suggestions.

Thanks in advance. I would hate to send the bass away for repair; it is my only one.
  2. eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    If you have an ohm meter or a battery powered continuity tester , pull the pickup out and check each coil. They should be about equal ohmage ( or light brightness). About 3-5k on each one or 6-10k total. It might be quicker to just pull the control cover and check at the leads.
    Since you have output on one half the d/g side may be shorted allowing signal to pass. If this is a new bass, I'd ask for another pup (or bass).
  3. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004

turn volume down with the bass fired up and tap on the poles with a small allen wrench or the equivalent. It will be very apparent if the pup if functioning or not. You man just have a loose wire between the pups (if two lead) or loose connection in the control bay (if 4 lead). If it's two, you'll have to pull the pups cause neither half would work if there were a problem in the control bay. If by chance you get good response from the problem half my first thought is to look at the height adjustment - if the halves have drastically different height's, that's probably your source.

Oh yeh, if this is a warranty thing or something gauranteed - don't jack with it if it's not functioning properly, take it back or contact seller before doing anything that would give them reason to refuse compensation.
  4. fender_mod

Jun 23, 2005
    how many K's are your pots? i hear on some p/j pups you need 500ks.
  5. :rollno:
    I recently bought a OLP Stingray which I am extremely happy with (I used to own a pre Ernie Ball Stingray, so I can appreciate the similarities). My problem is with the pickup output. It is just too STRONG on the E string even though I the pup as low as it will go, and pretty high on the G string side. The pickup is definately working on all pole pieces, just not balanced. I had a thought, is it possible for me to remove the pup from its case and turn it around (swapping ends)?
    Any advice welcome, I have a gig tonight!!!!
  6. mwm70

Oct 27, 2004
    I have the same problem, seems to be fairly common with P&J combos. I tried heavier gauge D and G strings and adjusting the pickup height. This offered minimal help but it was still present at high volumes (higher then individual practice levels).
    I bought a Boss cs-3 compressor and use it at a minimal setting and it balanced everything out. This does not resolve the problem but it was cheaper then replacing the EMG pickups in my bass.
  7. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004

My impression is this is not the occassional mild out of balance situation encountered by poor adjustment or product design errors but a defective bass.

At any rate, I've had about a dozen varities of PJ sets and have not experienced any indication PJ's are more prone than any other configuation to poor balance. I've had a half dozen sets of active EMG PJ's and never experienced any such thing with them or recall such mention before. I've heard many such complaints about Rays but had no more issue with the Ray I've got than any of the other exposed pole MM I've had.

almost a month, something should have been done by now. What was the deal?
  8. rashrader

Mar 4, 2004
    Baltimore, MD
    I finally sent the bass out for warranty work. The turn around time from Pedulla was phenomenal. They installed a new nut on the bass as well for an E-C setup.

Anyway, I got the bass back with a new P pickup installed (nice fresh covers), but I was not told what the problem was.

Regardless, it is fixed and I am happy.