Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

output problem

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by vic_6, Sep 10, 2005.

1. vic_6

vic_6

Dec 19, 2004
    Manila, Philippines
    hey,

i got a hamer cruise bass w/ 2tek and an 80's stingray.
    problem is, well the passive hamer seems to have a much higher/louder output than the stingray. that's weird right? i mean, the ray is active and even with the preamp boosted, the hamer still is louder.

just so you guys know, and im not sure this'll help, but the hamer's all stock except for a push/pull pot for series/parallel. the ray on the other hand has a changed treble pot (odd thing, it gets extremely bright at around 80% of the turn, liker it jumps to major brightness mode, probably a bum pot which i gotta replace as per advice of other TB'ers). then volume pot of the ray is 25k, trble is 1meg and bass is 250k if that has anything to do with it.

any help would be much appreciated. :)

vic

PS: i know i could just make the volume on the amo higher when i use the ray, i just wanna know what could be causing this and if you guys could help me understand. thanks again!

2. It could be an amplifier input impedance issue. Most modern bass amps have different input characteristics for active and passive basses. It may be that your amp is, by chance, perfectly matched to the output impedance of the hamer, but poorly matched to the output impedance of the 'ray.

Or, a flat battery in the 'ray, or the pickups are too low on the ray or too high on the Hamer.