1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

output question (2x410 and 400 watt head)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bommer, Nov 16, 2010.

1. bommer

bommer

May 13, 2009
    Canada, Eh!
    i am thinking about purchasing another 410 cabinet.
    its a peavey 410 cab with no problems that apparently 700watt output(for $200 which seems like a good deal)....ANYWAYS

if i used that peavey 410 cab and a yorkville 410 cab (both cabs 8ohms and my head takes a minimum of 4ohms so i dont see a problem there) would it be the same volume as just using 1 410 cabinet because the power is being split? and if it would be louder using both cabs, how much louder? (such as slighly, noticeable, double, ect..)

thanks

2. FanOfAlice

FanOfAlice

Nov 8, 2006
    Wisconsin
    It will be quite a bit louder because there is more speaker area. also if you stack the 4x10s it will seem louder because the speakers will be closer to ear level.

3. bommer

bommer

May 13, 2009
    Canada, Eh!
    ahh, alright.

now, do you think that double 410's (or even the single 410) would be good for smaller gigs?

4. Well, I don't think so, but then again, I don't know the meaning of overkill.

5. bommer

bommer

May 13, 2009
    Canada, Eh!
    lol, so your saying thats way too much?

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    depends on the gig. i'd never take an 810 rig to a jazz casual, but i have taken them to gigs where it was overkill. i didn't care...sounded great!

7. As Jimmy says, it really depends on the gig.

Amps do have volume controls, too.

8. 39-Bassist

39-Bassist

Jul 7, 2010
    Florida
    Endorsing Artist for: Brace Audio; Duncan Pickups; Line6, Hipshot, GHS Strings, Somnium Guitars
    +2 for JimmyM's statement....Done that speaker thing many times also and the sound is what counts...(I LOVE the overkill sound too, are my ears bleeding yet?)
    :)

9. bommer

bommer

May 13, 2009
    Canada, Eh!
    yeah true.
    well, i might just pick up the cab and try it out. seems like a good deal. thanks for the info everyone

10. bommer

bommer

May 13, 2009
    Canada, Eh!
    haha, well, i also may have to try the overkill sound aswell:bassist:

11. 3k Mylz

3k Mylz

Oct 4, 2009
    When you add a seperate cab two things happen:

1. You move more air - no matter what the speaker size is.

2. You decrease resistance. If both cabs are 8 Ohm your new resistance is 4 Ohm. That means if a head is 300W at 4 Ohm, using 1 8 Ohm cab you are getting 150W output. Add another cab, and you get 300W.

Now, that could be overkill in many a venue, but as many will tell you it's not how much power you have it's how much you have left.

i would say for most gigs using a drummer, 410 is fine, so long as you can go though FOH; if not, you may very well utilize the full 2X410, if only to keep your volume at 9:00.

12. bommer

bommer

May 13, 2009
    Canada, Eh!
    so my head takes a minimum 4ohm level. my current cab is 8 ohms. now, if i were to keep both cabs plugged into the head creating a 4 ohm load, and keeping the voluems low, would the be fine?

also, from what your saying(i think), i will be getting alot more potential power out of my 400 watt head by have the ohm load at 4(by using 2 8 ohm cabs) then just 1 8ohm cab.

13. 3k Mylz

3k Mylz

Oct 4, 2009
    Correct. 4 Ohm Min will work with 4 Ohm load and higher. Having 3 cabs@8 would be a load of 2.67, and spell trouble for your amp. Tons of threads on here about this subject in detail. The question you should ask yourself is, "am I happy with the output with one cab"?.