Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Output signal level question

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Phantasm, Feb 10, 2006.

1. Phantasm

Phantasm I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For.

Sep 16, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I've noticed for a while that the output of my Lakland bass when the vol is cranked is rather hot. It clips the preamp very easily in my amp.

Well, I know that there's a trim pot for the output level of the pickups, but here's my question:

If I plug the bass into a mixer, and i set the gain on the channel to Unity, where oon the meter should the signal on the PFL for the channel be to be at the "right" or "standard" level?

I've looked around for the answer but I can't seem to find it, so I'll ask.

Thanks.

2. Phantasm

Phantasm I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For.

Sep 16, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Well, everyone I've tried calling seemed baffled by my "expected output level question."

Lakland just advised to "go to 100% with the trim pot, then back down to about 85%."

In the end I just left the bass alone and turned the trim pot back 180 degrees on my Demeter Compulator. Distortion gone. The bass still has a very hot output, but I think I've got it balanced for now.