Output Volume with the Woolly Mammoth

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by CliftonBonney, Jul 7, 2008.

1. An explanation of what is going on would be greatly appreciated.

My basic set up is as follows: Passive Fender Jazz Bass > MXR-80 Preamp > Woolly Mammoth > other effects > amp.

The problem I'm having is with the volume of the Woolly Mammoth. Whenever I engage the pedal, the volume goes through the roof with even a moderate Output setting on the Mammoth. In order to keep the volume consistent with the volume in general or the volume with other pedals engaged, the Output on the Mammoth has to almost be off. If I make adjustments for the Mammoth and then turn it off and use another pedal, the volume can barely be heard.

What's going on here? Do I really need to adjust the volume on the amp, etc., every time I engage/disengage the Mammoth? This could be a pain on the fly. Do I need some sort of pedal before the Mammoth that reduces the strength of the input into it? Thanks.

Clifton

2. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Not sure about the stated problem since it's been a couple of years since I owned one, but I'd be willing to bet it will sound a ton better going:
    passive bass --> mammoth --> everything else
    ...give that a try, if you haven't already.

3. Thanks Bongo. Let me make sure I understand. I should have the preamp after the Mammoth? Or, get rid of the preamp?

4. I'll try Bongo's suggestion. It sounds like the cheaper alternative right now. In case it doesn't work, what's a hot plate?

5. The Mammoth tends to work best when it's directly connected to passive basses, so what Bongo is saying is just to put the Mammoth before the MXR-80.

A Hot-Plate is a power amp attenuator - it's not at all suitable for this problem.

6. Thanks.

7. jucas

jucas

Dec 14, 2003
    Alberta
    Yeah, definately try mammoth then preamp. The added benefit is that EQ changes after the mammoth could be lots of fun depending on how you have the m-80 set up.

How high is a moderate volume setting? I find that I have the volume at less than 9 o clock on the mammoth to have the same volume level with it on or off.

8. Niftydog and Bongo,

I tried putting the Mammoth before preamp. It definitely sounds a lot better. However, I still have the volume issue. Any idea what's going on? Thanks.

9. Jucas,

I have to keep the Output level at around 7 or 8 o'clock-almost completely off. It sounds like you may be having the same issue as me?

10. JohnDavisNYC

JohnDavisNYC

Jan 11, 2008
    Brooklyn, NY
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar, D'Addario
    the mammoth is capable of huge output. I find that my settings are dependent on the tone and pinch settings. There is a huge range of sounds available.

John

11. jucas

jucas

Dec 14, 2003
    Alberta
    I think that that's just how the pedal works. It can get rediculously loud, like John mentioned above. When you have the output set that low, do you get close to the same level with the pedal on or off? And then if you do, where does the problem with different levels come in with your other effects, or does it just seem wrong to have the volume set that low?

At those volume settings, I haven't ever had a problem with different levels between effects. What else are you running before the amp?

12. Nick Kay

Nick Kay

Jul 26, 2007
    Toronto, Ontario
    Don't look at the knobs. If you can get the right volume, who cares what the dials are pointing to? It's like EQ-ing with your eyes or watching a video with your nostrils. It's completely counter-intuitive.

13. BassMonstrum

BassMonstrum

Mar 7, 2008
    + 1 on the whole "Mammoth into passive bass then everything else".

I plug either a Fender P or J directly to the Mammoth -> Sansamp BDDI -> Boss TU-2. I sent a mail to Zachary Vex and he insisted that the Mammoth should receive the sound of your bass with nothing else in front and that a pre-amp should be placed after. This rendered the combination "Warwick Streamer and Zvex Woolly Mammoth" pretty much useless.

Still, having the Sansamp after the Mammoth helps me EQ the fuzz and it sounds pretty darn good. However, the Mammoth's "swells" makes my Ampeg SVT-3 PRO clip even when at low levels. Those of you who have (had) the Mammoth probably knows what I'm talking about.

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021