Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Output?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by f'nar f'nar, Dec 11, 2005.

1. Hey guys, I have a question. Is there anyway of making your basses output level higher? If so how? I love my current bass but its output is very low and I have to really crank my amp to get heard over my band sometimes. Ta.

2. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    Yes. But it's not always cost effective.

What is your current bass and what pickups and pre (if any) does it have? What amp are you using?

3. the amp is definately fine, its just a behringer. The bass in question is a warwick rockbass streamer 5. With two NEC pups. No pre-amp (yet).

4. I built a gain-only preamp for my Yamaha RBX170...cost me about $10 in parts from Dick Smith Electronics (like radio shack). Basically it's just a circuit built around a TL071 preamp....

works great and sounds transparent...I have it mounted in a small box velcro-ed to my strap.

It definitely helps me deliver more signal to my amp...but that's not the primary reason I built it...I built it to drive my

5. Although it is possible your bass is unusually quiet, in reality it can be very difficult to be heard above a loud band, even with a good bass, good amp, and good speaker cabinet.

How many watts is the amp, and what speaker(s) are you running? And how have you set the tone controls?

What seems like a lovely tone and volume, when you're practicing at home....won't cut it at a gig. Especially when the guitar(s) are really loud.

Dial DOWN the bass tone control on your amp, and turn UP the midrange. Mids are your friend, they cut through. Lows, on the other hand, just create mud and suck up your power.

The guitar player(s) may be overlapping your frequency range too. They need to cut back their bass a tad. Also, are you set up right next to the rhythym guitarist??

As a last resort, ask the band to turn down a little.

edit: One last thought. Does your amp have a passive/active switch--might also be labelled as a -10db pad...if the amp's input is set to active, or the pad is enabled, set to the other setting for more gain.