Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

outrageous low fretless action contest

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by eli, Aug 29, 2001.

1. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    So I finally actually measured up, and found that the action on my Conk 7 fretless is between 1/16" and 5/64" on all except low B and high F strings. Those are a shred below 3/32". Relief is visible by end sighting, but there is next to NO light visible when pressing 1st and 24th frets. And MAN is it fun to play this thing -- sooOOOooo... SLINKY. Elixirs too! Can you say... SMOOOOOTH? And growls like CRAZY. :D :cool:

So how low can YOU go :confused:

2. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    i have high action, :p. How high can you go?

3. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Hi Eli,
    I'm running about 1/16" on my Stingrays, but I'm not real competitive about it. Is this contest for pink slips, or what?
    Doc

4. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Octave and a half above middle C! :p

5. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    I used to have mad high action on my bass... but then I got some sense into me and took it to a luthier.

Id say it was about an inch high action but Im just guessing... At least it made me better at bass :p

6. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    I used to have a borrowed upright that went up to about 1 7/8 - 2 inches at the highest point. My hands used to bleed after playing it. Sometimes i'd get addicted and practice for about 10 hours strait.

7. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    that sounds awesome... :D

nothin like the feel of super high action!