Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

outside gigs

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by pereek, Jul 5, 2002.

1. ok we got asked to do our towns carnival this sunday (2 days) its been in our local paper alot and we got a few mentions. So hopefully quite a nice number of people. How have any out side gigs you guys done came out?

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Couple bits of advice:

Make sure the area infront of the stage, and maybe to the sides, is grassed or graveled or some sort of non-flying medium. I've done a couple shows where it was a bit dusty infront of us...my guitar player's guitar had to be taken apart and dusted out to work, his pedals got a good griming, and out drummer's kit got a nice coat of dirt. I was fortunate enough to have my gear a little to the side, so I avoided a serious dirt problem.

You'd be surprised how much dirt/dust people can kick up, even just moving around, not nessicarily getting energetic like dancing or moshing (if it's that kind of band you're in).

That's my two bits.

3. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Outside jobs are usually pretty boring. Unless you are a band with a pretty decent following. If you are in a normal bar band, (as I am) outside gigs usually aren't all that great. For people to dance they have to have some booze in them, and most fairs and what not do not allow booze. Again, if you have a decent following, it probaly wouldn't be hard getting sober people in the music.

I'm not saying fairs are crap, just saying I prefer bars.

About the 3rd pro level gig I ever did was a fair and I can't complain cause I walked away with 90 bucks that gig. I still haven't walked out of a bar with 90 dollars in my wallet.

4. I actually prefer outdoor gigs, too bar gigs. Less drunk idiots, If you know what I mean.

One thing for sure is you will need to crank it up alot louder than usual. Beacuse there is nothing to reflect the sound. Make sure you take the time to get a proper sound check. It's alot harder to hear yourself outside too. Have you thought about the weather. Are you under a band shell or tent? Or are you wide open under the sky?

Down here in South Fl., I am way more worried about rain than dust. I mean, Jesus, how dusty was it? Those guysmust have been playing in a dry river bed or the salt flats, In the middle of a demolition derby?!? He had to have is guitar disassembled to clean it..? So it would work..? Yikes, I'm tring to visuallize it. Do you guys wear goggles when you play?

Okay, please pardon the gentle ribbing. But seriously, I play 50+ outdoor gigs a year, humidity and not being able to hear yourselves (no sound reflection) are the main downsides.

5. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    On one of my 1st outdoor shows, the sun was very bright. In direct sunlight, I could not see the red leds on my multifex processor. It looked like there was no power at all. I spent 15 minutes checking power supplies before I figured out how to move it to a shadow.

Also, bring sunglasses and a fan if it will be hot.

:cool:

6. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    I´ve done one outdoor gig here in Iceland. Although it was summer and it was about 8-9pm, it was not very hot and a rather cold wind. My fingers were so cold that I had a difficult time playing. I ended up playing most of the set with a pick, and struggling with my right hand :eek:

I guess you don´t have that problem there :) (temperature problem that is)

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    We've got an outdoor gig coming up on the 20th. We play it every year, it's for a giant summer party at my Danish step-relative's house. I really dig playing outside. We break out the BIG PA and crank it up. My ordinarily sedate indoor band rocks like a mofo. It can get a bit warm out there, but we put up a tarp and drink plenty of agua, etc.

LOUD! Just this once.

8. natebass

natebass

Sep 6, 2001
    Bremerton, WA
    I play outdoor gigs about 8-10 times a year (but only from April-Sept.)

My experience has been this - I get a really good sound from my DI, but I can't really hear me unless I go by the side fills - but I usually come out at least $100 ahead - for about 2 hours work, so I figure I'm covered.

The big bonus is that a lot of people will see you - mainly that wouldn't otherwise - so if you self-promote you can do really well - unless you suck; then give up!!!!!

9. outside?

*if the stage is made of flimsy wood, you may experience the problem of "TOO much low end". (once you experience this, you'll know and so does the drummer!!!!) the drummer won't hear anything else but your low end, so take time to find tone that works onstage.

*sunblock. even on overcast days, 6 hrs in the sun will get ya.

*sunglasses (some are over-sensitive to sunlight and miserable with out shades)

*fan - even a small $10 dept store cheapy could be the most valuable piece of gear you bring!!

*something to keep the setlist from blowing away.

*drink lotsa water. i usually do a glass of icewater each set (be sure to drain the lizzard before each set, no fun if you don't!!!)

hope this helps,

bimp

10. hey man England here!

and for other people points:
    Brendan its grass not dust

LiquidMidnight we have got a fair following but there are also 3 other bands so hopefully crowd will be good

thanks again for all the advice

11. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Find a way to keep your fingertips cool, it'll do wonders for your attack. When you play in the heat, it softens your fingers as well as your attack. I usually play right beside the drummer, but for outdoor gigs, I'm directly in front of the kit, so I can feel the air coming out of the kick.

12. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Outdoor gigs are a blast! My new band is only doing 6 this summer. I expect that to increase in the coming years. My last band played between 12 to 15 every summer. My advice. Bring a fan and have fun.

13. well just came back frm playing the gig. It was amazing, the headlining band had provided everything apart from our actual guitars. PA, marshall stack for my bass and two other fender stacks for guitarists. The sound guy was really nice talking us through it (we are pretty new to the music world) the sun came down and no rain (lucky for england) and like prodicted about 300 people turned out. Got a pic for ya.

14. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Marshall for bass? You must be in England or something.

15. english born and breed. :)