Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Outta GAS, Say It Ain't So!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Quadzilla, Apr 19, 2005.

1. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Holy crap, I'm actually out of GAS right now :confused: :confused: :eek: ! I have been buying and selling basses, rigs, etc for the last 5 years. Somehow I've actually reached a point where I'm pretty happy with my gear. How can this be???

I have medium-end gear, but it sounds sooo good. My tone has never been better. Here is a list of what I currently have:

Axes:
    Primary Axe: G&L L-2500 USA (5 string)
    Project Bass: Just Got Gone Building This (link--> Click Me!
    Michael Kelly Dragonfly 5 Str Acoustic/Elec Bass
    Main Rig:
    Kustom Groove Bass 1200 Head (Rack Mounted)
    Sabine RT7000 Rack Mount Tuner
    Avatar SB112 cab (1x12 full size) on bottom
    Baby Rig (for small gigs and occasional practice):
    Hartke HA1400 Head
    Infant Rig:
    Kustom KBA 16 combo amp

Guess I'll wait for the GAS bug to bite again but for now I'm happy (very scary)! Anyone else satisfied for the moment too?

2. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    I've been since the beginning of the year.

Ray

3. actually, I am happy with my gear; all i need is a 15" for the rig, and im done.
    the only thing I'd actually add are FX, and to be fair, I can do that using software, no need for them in my music! :)

4. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

Don't worry. It'll pass and then you'll be GAS-filled again. It's just in remission, it's not curable.

You know you don't have any effects listed. Or a wireless (very fun, highly recommended). Or a DI-only rig (sansamp programmable, Avalon U5, etc.). Or a short scale for tenor or piccolo tuning. Or . . .

5. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    Due to circumstances beyond my control, I too am GAS free.

6. Quadzilla

Oh mannnnnnn, don't do that to me!!! Now you've got my head filled with all kinds of crazy things to go look at and buy :mad: :D ! Seriously, I have a DOD multi-effect pedal that has a wah pedal built in and a ton of effects, but honestly, I hardly ever use it. I used to use effects all the time but this last year or so, I've been just plugging straight in (the tone of the Kustom really made do this even more). I'll prob eventually get wireless and a Sansamp.

Thanks for trying to cure me of my anti-GAS. Take my Beano man :D :p !

7. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    With the off-loading of the SRX505, MIA Fender 5, and (almost gone) SGC SB310 , along with the purchase of my new FBB fretless 6, I am as happy with my equipment as I have ever been. Blessedly GAS free .... now I can just look at all of the new stuff guys are getting and say "Wow, that's a [insert fav compliment here] [insert axe name here], but no thanks man, I'm cool right now". It's a great feeling to be playing the right bass for me :D

8. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    ...not having GAS at the moment is just "the calm before the storm"...trust me...

~S~

9. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Don't forget, your favorite bass (or anyone else's) is probably available in different colors :D ...

10. Sutton

Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
    Well, you guys could always cure my gas.....I could use a Spector Euro, or maybe a American Fender Jazz. Anyone interested, just send me a PM ;)

11. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Although I too can say that I don't have too much serious GAS now, I have learned over many years that I am always able to squeeze a little GAS if the opportunity presents itself. I have also come to terms with the fact that, barring equipment failure, my GAS is a direct reflection of my $$$ situation..

12. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Hey Quadzilla, how do you like your M K Dragonfly????

Now back to main topic: there is no such a cure for G.A.S., you´ll always need/want/drool-for something diferent or new.

13. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Ya know, it certainly has a lot do with your cash flow, but I also find that once my equipment is really meeting my gigging needs I stop looking. Right now, my stuff is perfect for what I'm doing :D
    however, a nice Jerzy Drozd fretless 6er would be great if someone is in a generous mood :bag:

14. Quadzilla

The Dragonfly is awesome! No issues... PERFECT for just playing around the house or at a campfire!

15. Corwin81

Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    GAS is expensive these days, you'll have to "refuel" sometime :D

16. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

Just tryin' to spread the feelin'!

My problem now is that even though I have a bunch of things I want, I don't have anything I'm willing to part with to pay for it. And the gig funds trickle in slowly compared to the GAS urges. But it's not like there's anything I actually need, it's all just want.

Enjoy the peace!

17. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    Yeah theres no cure for G.A.S., however if I get the TRB1005 with nordstrand fatstacs and agi obp-3 G.A.S. could strike but i wouldnt care cos now i have a vigier arpege 3 and im getting an ampeg svp-pro.

Quad the hartke remake roolz :bassist: , but a black or tort guard on it wouldnt look bad either.

18. Washishimi

Washishimi Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2005
    New York
    Since my Schroeder 410 came along recently, I am forever out of cabinet gas. But as far as heads and basses go, I'm always willing to see what is out there :help:

19. Quadzilla

Thanks much Vene! I was thinking of stripping it and redoing it in natural or a very light stain...

20. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Nice, I´ve been drooling for one of these (4 stringer) since I saw them in musiciansfriend.com