1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Outta My League

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Shoot_A_Hostage, Apr 18, 2009.

1. Shoot_A_Hostage

Shoot_A_Hostage

Apr 14, 2009
    :ninja:
    So Ive been jamming with this guitar player whos been playing for about 11 years. Hes AMAZING and its really refreshing to work with someone of his caliber.
    But thats not the point.
    Anyone have some techniques I can use?

2. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Well, you might want to:

Use your fingers.
    Slap.
    Use a pick.
    Play the right notes.

Honestly, I have no idea what youre asking.

3. Shoot_A_Hostage

Shoot_A_Hostage

Apr 14, 2009
    Oh sorry. Allow me to elaborate,
    wow this is hard to put into words =P
    What techniques set apart a bass player from the crowd? Perhaps advanced things that many players dont know?
    DOes that elaborate?

4. J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    playbassnow.com

Double thumbing, doulbe stops, dead notes, scales, modes, major, minor, dominant 7th arpeggios, etc. etc.

5. Shoot_A_Hostage

Shoot_A_Hostage

Apr 14, 2009
    lol makes sense.
    now...
    dead note. what is that?

6. J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Instead of pressing the string all the way down on the fret to get a note, to get a thumpy sound. It just makes the sound of your finger thumping on the string. A harmonic, without the harmonic, in a sense.

7. Shoot_A_Hostage

Shoot_A_Hostage

Apr 14, 2009
    Oh tahts cool.
    Ive never even heard of it. An example perhaps?
    Btw thanks. Its reli helpful to get answers like this.

8. J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Hey, shoot me a PM. Ill help you with whatever you need.

9. Asher S

Asher S

Jan 31, 2008
    MA

Sure- that's easy:
    1. Define your goals
    2. Find a good teacher
    3. Practice & gig 'til your fretboard is shredded into splinters
    4. Replace your fretboard, repeat steps 3-4...

10. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    If you want to be in a band with guys of much higher caliber than you are, be supportive in your playing. Don't show off or overplay with licks you cannot play well in time. Be a foundation for the other musicians to play on top of, by playing simple lines with solid timing. That will get you gigs. You won't get them by overplaying. Less is more.

11. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    This, plus...playing with those better than you will make you a better player. It will stretch you in directions and challenge you. Its always a good thing. If he's played with you so far, then obviously he likes what you're doing. Go for the ride and let him challenge you in ways you didn't know would happen.

12. J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    I PMd him and helped him with a few things. Still though, Im learning from this thread myself. So, keep it coming.

13. I started playing bass about 4 months ago, and in a band for four months. It's a 3 piece (plus singer) and they all know how to rock the F out. I'm definately the weakest link at the moment, but I think coming along decent enough.

***A LITTLE BACKGROUND--- I've "played" guitar for 10 years. (meaning I strumed the same old 15 bits and pieces of songs on an acoustic while sitting on my couch in my underware watching TV)

With that being said, I feel I'm a way better bass player than I ever was as "playing" guitar due to the drive and push from the band just to be able to keep up. One of the biggest things I still have to get over is if the band didn't sound good as a whole, we would not have any gigs.

I can't do all the "show off" stuff that experienced bass players can do, but when we all connect and play music it feels right (unless I mess up on occasion). But the rest of the band seems to understand.

I guess what I'm trying to say is keep doing what your doing and have fun. The icing will come later, just concentrate on the cake.

14. tpmiller08

tpmiller08

Mar 15, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Show off stuff is lame, unless you can whip out a solo for a song...just one...ever lol.

Seriously, this is what I do. I joined up with my band, and the lead guitar has double my time playing ( my 5 years to his 10) He's a GREAT guitarist, and is out of my league.

I did the simple thing. It works, stick with it. But the key is to record what you play, as much as possible. Do it everytime if you can. We practice 3 times a week, and we record our practices about once a month.

When you commuting, hanging out, anytime you can, listen to it. Then the song just becomes engraved in your brain. You wont have to think about changes and things like that.

I played all root notes, and keep the time. Thats it. Did that for a long time. Then, one day, itll just click. "I should add this, this might sound good." Add a slide, hammer-on, octave, perfect 5th, perfect 4th, dont play anything, add a rest, anything.

Never try to "show off". I dont think you should at least. Add things to the song that keep it interesting. The average listener wont get it. They won't even actively hear what your doing most of the time. But if you do slight variations in your bass lines, it'll keep the ear interested.

My two cents at least :bassist:

-Troy

15. Shoot_A_Hostage

Shoot_A_Hostage

Apr 14, 2009
    I would like to inform everyone that you guys helped me BIG TIME.
    Instead of trying to over complicate things, I did exactly what my gut (and you guys) told me to do. I stayed in the pocket and listened to the groove. And he invited me back to jam with him on a regular basis =)
    But please keep this thread going. This HAD to have helped more than just me. So maybe, the new topic should be... idk...
    What do YOU do when you play with players out of your league?

16. ShirazBop

ShirazBop Gold Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2006
    Greensboro, NC
    subscribed....Just got reconnected to a dear friend after 22 years with by far who is the best guitarist I have ever been blessed to play with. I am prayerful that we'll get to jam together sometime in the not too distant future (though he's several states away)...

17. Listen, listen, listen. Then listen some more.

Flashy technique is usually, not always, but usually, worthless and distracting. I said usually, flame bringers. I like Les Claypool too. But I'm not in Primus, so I don't play like him. At all.

Good ears, time, and tone are what you need to set yourself apart from the vast majority of bass players. Most bass players suck; don't be one of them. Be a real musician, who plays bass.

18. There's no such thing, if you have big ears. Really.

19. Shoot_A_Hostage

Shoot_A_Hostage

Apr 14, 2009
    Yeah. I heard my band director once says "I don't get paid to play fast, I get paid to listen fast."
    I'm sure he was quoting someone but I try to keep that in my head at all times.

20. CharlieDog

CharlieDog

May 29, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    You probably shouldn't shoot any hostages.