1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ovangkol basses, what do they sound like?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jvbjr, Nov 30, 2006.

1. jvbjr

jvbjr

Jan 8, 2005
    Seems as though Warwick is the only company using this wood, anyone have any experience with it? How does it sound compared to the more readily known bass woods?

2. ster

ster

Oct 18, 2003
    New Jersey
    IME my Warwick Thumb (Ovangkol body and neck) Has a darker more solid sounding midrange than my ash and maple bodied basses. Ash bodied bass(imo) seem to have more hollow midranges. Alder bass seem to have stronger sounding mids than ash and maple. This doesnt mean that this would hold true to all maple and ash bodies basses. Different pickup and preamp configurations can "correct" alot of peaks and valleys in the tonal spectrum of woods with certain tonal characteristics. Ex: my Ash bodied Zon has much stronger mids than my ash bodied Fender American Deluxe Jazz. But my Jazz has the strongest lows. I think it has more to do with pickups than anything else.
    I also get great highs and lows from my Thumb, but the dark mid presence(growl some would say) is always there, even when I scoop them out.

3. Not really...a lot of other builders use Shedua which is really the same stuff.

Tonally, I'd say that Shedua has a similar tone to Bubinga.