Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by bassbully43, Dec 29, 2005.

1. bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    I just bought a Aria SB404 which has a Ovankal body...is this a good wood? where is it from? and why dont i see it used in many basses? I looks great but what can i do to it to get it brighter and treat it since it is nat finish It has nato and maple five piece neck. hope this right place to post this.
  2. Tdog

May 18, 2004
    Ovankol is also known as Shedua and Amazakoue...from West and Central Africa. I love this wood! Very stable....No bad habits. I use it in many boxes that I make and Shedua is gaining favor as a premier wood in acoustic instruments....Sometimes used as a Braz Rosewood substitute. I have a small, but highly figured stash of this great stuff squirrelled away for some bookmatched tops to be used in future basses. Shedua has a wonderful 3 dimentional look to it when finished with a hardcoat or oil. There are some terrific highly figured boards for sale if you know where to look.

3. Warwick Thumb bolt-on bodies are made of ovangkol(their spelling, IIRC), as are post '98 necks.

Edit: All the ovangkol I've seen is fairly dark naturally, so I don't know what you could do to lighten it- if that's what you mean by 'make it brighter'. The Warwick info is for anyone who wonders what ovangkol looks like. :)
  4. bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    I tried a satin wipe on polish that is used for high buck satin finished pianos...blah just cleaned it up. I want to see the 3-d look he said above...what can i use... wax? If so what kind? i want it to be protected ..it is very dry now and had been hanging in the store for months. Why is this wood not used for basses more? Thanks for all the help.
  5. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Ovangkol bodies are scarce, due to its high weight.
    Ovangkol is more used in necks, where the stiffnes counts.

The 3D effect depends on the sanding. You need to sand it down to minimum 400 grit, probably finer, to really see it. Then put some oil on it and it will shine like the surface of the sea. Or something...
  6. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    Here's what you have to know about Ovangkol and Shedua:
    From The Gallery Hardwoods section

I have an Ovangkol topped bass, and yeah, it gets pretty dark when I oil it down. I honestly dunno about making it brighter. Maybe you could bleach it or something. If I were you, I'd wait some other (and better) suggestions to come along.
  7. bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    The Aria catalog said they used Ovankal To answer players requests for a lighter body?... what do i use to make it shine?
  8. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    ovankol light? :eek: Somebody is smoking crack!
  9. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Maybe they meant lighter in color? Maybe they were using granite before?

The 3d effect is going to depend on whether it shows in the body you have. The 3d effect in shedua is due to interlocked/spiral grain in the wood and will not appear in all samples. It shows best on quartersawn surfaces. Sanding will help to clarify the figure, oils, lacquers, and waxes will bring it out.

Some of this stuff is just darker in color than others. I don't think bleaching is somewhere you want to go with this. The stuff gets darker in the sun, perhaps if you sand the patina off then you'll be happy with the color underneath.
  10. bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    Yep check out the new Aria catalog...they made the body from ovancal to respond to users wanting a lighter bass while capuring the classic SB look and style... :p The bass feels great and looks great not to heavy and very sleek and thin. I still dont know what to use to shine it up ...what products please name a few...thanks.
  11. FBB Custom

Jan 26, 2002
    Try Howard's Feed N' Wax.
  12. bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    Where can i get it? super site and lovely basses FBB.
  13. Scott French

Scott French Dude Supporting Member

May 12, 2004
    Grass Valley, CA
    Many hardware stores carry it.
  14. FBB Custom

Jan 26, 2002
    Thanks, I got mine at either Home Depot or my local hardware store. It should be easy to find.