Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ovation Acoustic Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gabu, Oct 4, 2002.

1. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Hi guys,

As many of you know, John recently sold me one of his old basses. It's an Ovation Acoustic. I got it to replace my Rogue ABG... so a comparison seems in order.

[​IMG]
    The rogue was much more twangy. Lots of trebble. It was also shorter scaled, with a somewhat floppy b. The neck was much thicker. A real baseball bat... but was okay to play. The strings were spread out a bit more, making the fretting easier. It was not too dynamic. I generally liked to keep the tone all the way down, because that was a nice balance of trebble to bass. It was a very nice looking instrument. (The Rogue MP3 sample is colored by my ampeg amp... I don't have it any more to play it with the controls flat)
    http://home.earthlink.net/~gabu/sampleofrogueabg305.mp3

~~~

[​IMG]
    The Ovation is much more balanced. Good bass, and good trebble. It comes with a preshape filter control and a 3 band eq. The B is definately tighter. The neck is thinner, and a more comfortable shape to play. The only downside being that the strings are closer together. This is a great looking black instrument with brass hardware. I am very happy with the switch! (The Ovation is played with all controls completely flat, and the strings are quite old... but just to give you some idea, I include the mp3)
    http://home.earthlink.net/~gabu/ggg.mp3

2. Cool man!

So what are ya gonna do with the Rogue?

3. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Lucky boy!

I used to have a (Korean) Ovation geetar with the same basic design and really liked it - except for its tendency to slide off my lap. Round bellies and round backs don't mix! They look damn good, too.

However, every Ovation (and most Applause) bass I've ever played has really impressed me. If it wasn't for the ergonomics, I would have seriously considered one instead of my Tacoma.

Nice bass, Gabe!