Ovation Celebrity Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Johnny BoomBoom, Jul 11, 2002.

1. Hi folks - I've just been struck with a minor dose of GAS and have a hankering for an acoustic bass (well electro-acoustic).

I have seen an advert for one here in blighty and was wondering if anyone has one and what they think of them??? I don't need another bass, but I don't have an acoustic bass!

It's going for £360, which I guess is about $500 - is that a reasonable price (remembering of course the UK charges higher prices for most things imported!!!)

Also - does anyone know where they are manufactured - I guess at that price it'll be Korea or China (do they have a line in China???)

Oh yeah, I think the model is the CCO74 - or something like that!

Any info greatly appreciated!
  2. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    If you plan on using it alot acoustically with others in a jam setting, then I recommend you go for Tacoma. They are much louder and just sound great.

If you will use it mostly plugged in, then the Ovation should be fine.

3. Thanks for the reply!! I reckon it will be mostly plugged in! I had read some reviews elsewhere where it suggested it wasn't particularly loud acoustically - it could'nt compete with an acoustic guitar and a drum kit played lightly!

Think I'll go for the Ovation!
  4. Wow - I've just suddenly gotten rid og my GAS!!! What was I thinking - an acoustic bass??? What on earth would I do with it!!!!!!

Phew - GAS over!

On a side not, I work across the road from a small airfield and there's a guy doing the most amazing stunt routine just now - it's cool!!!! I juts hope he doesn't mess it up, my car's out there!!!:eek:
  5. Hi Johnny,

£360 wasn't *too* bad a price for the Celebrity - RRP in the UK is £475 (check out http://www.jhs.co.uk/ovation.html for UK details). Other ABG's are still pretty pricey in this country, and one thing that's going for the Ovation is a half-decent pre-amp.

I've got a Celebrity Deluxe 5 string ABG which is really quite nice. I play mostly in church with a fairly acoustic based band, so that "unplugged" sound is what I'm after, even if I am amplified. Downsides = no great sound project unamplified, difficult to find a gig bag to fit (I use a Warwick ABG Rockbag).

It's cool to be able to pick something up and quickly noodle around on it without having to fuss about plugging in. You can also jam with an acoustic guitar buddy unplugged without too much hassle. True the minute there is a drummer you're in trouble, but that's a universal truth. There have been a couple of times when I've been "away from home" with my ABG and been able to pull it out and practice/jam/have fun with somebody who has pulled out an acoustic g***tar.

Anyway. Since your GAS has passed this is probably a pointless reply... :rolleyes: :D
  6. Thanks for your reply anyway - it's appreciated! It was actually on Ebay in the UK, the buy it now was £360.

However, I suddenly realised I had no real need for an acoustic bass! That was lucky!