1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ovation Celebrity CC174 acoustic bass, any thoughts?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Prophet925, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Prophet925

Prophet925

Mar 25, 2013
    Hey guys, I've been reading stuff on this forum for a long while, and never made a profile until today. I've been playing guitar for about 11 years, just got into bass 2 years ago, and fell in love. I have an Ovation Celebrity CC174 for practicing, and I gigged with a '82 fretless American Jazz that my guitarist owned. I was just wondering if there was a lot of interest out there in these Ovation Celebrity series basses, because nobody seems to be biting on ebay or craigslist for them. Any thoughts from the experts (you guys, that is) on whether or not this thing can be moved? I've been trying to get together enough to buy my buddy's JBass and a new neck (fretless is nice sometimes, but I just want the standard J neck), and I'm getting really close but I'd like to sell this thing to clinch what I need to buy the dream bass. Let me know what you think, and thanks in advance you guys!

2. JollySpudd

JollySpudd Guest

Jul 17, 2013
    Thoughts? Here goes :)

I'm sure by now you worked this out with your Ovation, so I'm just posting since I own a CC174 - picked up at Music-Go-Round with a nice hard case for $100 just last fall. It was initially hard to find any online info about it, but after a month of digging, I amassed a fair amount. --- All that to say that, they don't seem as popular or generating much interest in general. However, I did find that they were only issued for 2 years ('95/'96) and that they initially retailed for about $700 (!!!) - the original case that came with mine ran over $200 retail - yikes! So for $100 I'm pretty happy.

Overall I like it for the money, the cons are, a) the round back is pretty "present" - standing or sitting, and, for me, I've had an issue getting the strings I like for it. Factory recommended gages running .040 .055 .075 .095 - anything larger or silk wrapped ends - they don't fit the thread holes in the bridge tailpiece. -- I prefer a half-round string, but flat is okay. It came, probably still with the original factory issued round wound bronze - no idea what maker. Since acoustically it's on the quieter side, but great plugged in, I'm not too keen on the squeak of rounds for it, plus it can get clacky, like any acoustic, if you play too hard unplugged, trying to up your volume. I put D'Addario Chromes on it in the factory gage, had to remove the silk on the low E to thread through. Then discovered that the tension of steel strings, even at such light gage, is too high for it, so I drop the whole tuning a step. (btw - my dream string set is half-round phosphor bronze, low tension in this gage - so far impossible to find. Thomastik Infield AB344 is the closest, but round wound and a bit pricey. Any low tension super light gage flat or halfs in bronze out there??? I gave up searching. Might have to work out something custom for myself)

Maybe some of this is why the CC174 isn't much on the radar. If you like round wounds on your acoustic it's a cool bass with, imho, a decent and flexible preamp/pickup - cool at a low price. 34" scale. I like it better than some of the others I tried that I'd've payed two to three times more for, so, I'm happy. --- If anyone needs info on it, just ask, I'll share everything I found.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015