Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ovation - ever played one?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RyansDad, Mar 10, 2006.

1. RyansDad

RyansDad

Jan 31, 2006
    Tolland, CT
    Has anyone ever played an Ovation solid-body bass? I saw one in the local pawn shop and wasn't sure if I should look again or keep walking.

I unfortunately do not have a picture of it, but it was interesting looking (of course, Yugos were interesting looking too).

2. IMHO: I really do not like the ovations with the plastic rounded backs. Not for sound, I am neither here nor there on their sound, but I find them difficult to play. They sit funny on me because of the rounded back, and if I try to sit down and rest it on my knee, they slip right off.

3. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC Music. Warwick U.S. distribution
    you can hear a lot of ovation bass on the original Journey albums.

Roger Glover also used them back in the 80's. Very fat and big sounding.

That was probably a Magnum you were looking at.

4. RandallFlagg

RandallFlagg Guest

Aug 18, 2003
    Kansas City
    I used an Ovation Magnum III in the 80s. One of the finest basses I have ever owned. Problems? Sure. It is heavy as HELL....built like the proverbial tank and sounded like a million bucks. Mahogany body with an ebony fretboard. Biggest Humbucker in the history of man....

To this day I still wonder why Ovation stopped production on the magnum basses.

5. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC Music. Warwick U.S. distribution
    they stopped because you're one of the only four people that bought one. ;)

6. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I had a Magnum I for a while, and it was awesome. I only sold it because (a) it was very heavy, and (b) I prefer shorter scale necks. The other interesting thing- Many brands have used the phrase "piano tone" to describe a clear full-range sound, but the Magnum actually sounded like a piano! To me it sounded more like a grand piano than a bass guitar.

7. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    The acoustic basses I have no comment about, but Ovation's solidbody instruments from the 70's are very cool and are very well made. It's a shame nobody caught on to how good their electric guitars (breadwinner,preacher ect.) and basses (Magnum).

The preamp should be unique as well, I just hope someone didn't take it out. Also, i think one Magnum had a small graphic eq built onto the bass. I think they are a steal for a vingtage US made Bass.

8. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    Also, what did the pawn shop want for the bass?

9. RandallFlagg

RandallFlagg Guest

Aug 18, 2003
    Kansas City

:D

Yeah...it's for sure that I "stood out" in the bass playing community....in all honesty, at the time, I don't think I saw anyone else playing one. And the poster is right about the piano sound....the Magnum nailed it perfectly...