Ovation Magnum 1

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Locke, Feb 6, 2002.

1. Locke

Jul 14, 2000
    Has anybody played one of these? I really like the design and features it has on it, I think they made them in the 70's? It has two input jacks for mono and stereo applications, it's made out of mahagony, and it has some crazy looking pickups? Just wondering----J
  2. Hey Locke, I picked up a Magnum at Guitar Center a couple of months ago, for cheap.. I don't think they know what they had. It's in pretty good shape. The coolest feature, IMO, is the bridge mute. Fully deployed, it gives you an upright-like sound. And if you raise it up just enough to touch the strings, it makes it sound like you're playing through some spacey distortion pedal. The three-way pickup selector is cool, too. Mine came with flatwounds on it, and I'm gonna keep it that way. Check gbase.com, there are a few out there for sale.
  3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    They came out around 1978 and lasted until about 1982 (somewhere in there the Magnum I/II were upgraded to III/IV with changes to the body shape). There were also some very rare single pickup, set neck Magnums in the second body style.

The I and III were passive and stereo wired while the II and IV were active and mono wired.

As you'd expect the neck pickup was fat, thick and heavy sounding while the bridge pickup gave you brighter twangier tones.

Nice basses to play but not your typical Fender-ish tone, more like across between a Gibson EB and a Rickenbacker.

Go listen to a recent Jah Wobble record, he uses a Magnum a lot.

Current value? $200-600 depending on condition and how much the seller or buyer knows about it.