1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ovation Magnum 3 or 4?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bigblondeafro87, Jul 23, 2007.

1. Hey all, I've been in the market now for a new bass for about 6 months, as I'm getting extremely bored with the limited, and disappointing, sounds my Schecter C-5 can make.

This bass just sounds too bland and lifeless to me, especially when compared to the artists whom I would like to sound like. I think part of the problem is that, being an active bass, it just doesn't have that passive sizzle that I like to hear. Out of all the bassists I enjoy listening to most, Stanley Clarke is the only one with an onboard preamp, and now I think I know why.

Also, I think that my bass may have too much sustain, and it has no bridge mute to compensate. Artists like Berry Oakley, and Phil Lesh do not have long sustain and sound heavenly to my ears.

Lately I've been looking into hollowbodies and other vintage solid body basses to find the dirty, vocal sounds my idols produce out of their basses. I know P-basses and pretty much all basses make vocal sounds, but I also want a bass with a fairly unique look/ sound. One bass that caught my eye, and my ear was the Ovation Magnum. The 1 and 2 models look a little odd for me and the 4 has the same electronics, just with a verrry nice looking body. My problem with these three basses is that they are active and require two batteries to run, although the onboard EQ is a very nice touch. The 3 might be my answer because it is passive, but with the same pickups and furniture as the 4, which I like a ton.

My question for you is, judging by my tastes, would I like the passive 3 or the active 4 better and would either of these basses be what I am looking for?

Thank you very much!

2. I dont actually think either of the basses are Passive. I'm pretty positive that the Magnum series was all active

and as for which? They're both the same, pretty much. The Magnum 3 is exactly like the magnum 1 with a different body. The 4 si exactly like the 2. For a while I had a magnum 2 (until I returned it to my uncle) and its a fantastic bass. Dirty sounding as hell if you want it to be, but you can also coax a pretty convincing sounding classic rock sound. Graphite reinforced neck, 18volt preamp, solid as hell. A little heavy though, but you'll get used to it

Oh, and as for the difference between the 3 and 4? 3 has knobs to control your preamp, 4 has a three band graphic equalizer on it. If you can find a place to get one cheap, jump on it. The prices were going up last time I looked.

Now comes the time in my post where I've written enough that it earns me the right to brag and show off my ovation.
    th_Angelo063.

EDIT* As for a Phil Lesh tone? You might get that early dead sound, but you're not going to make one sound like his Modulus. You will however be able to play along with Golden Road with no problem whatsoever

3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I owned a Magnum I, and it was passive. I'm fairly sure the III was also passive. Personally, I think the I and II body looks awesome, and I can't stand the III and IV body, but of course tastes differ.

The mute system is OK when it's working, but I've seen a number of Magnums where the mutes were worn out, removed, or otherwise nonfunctional; also this system tends to makes your notes slightly sharp. If you want a mute system, check out www.Bassmute.com , and search this forum on "bassmute" for discussion.

4. Does the III or IV have a neckdive issue? I read in one and only one review that the III had a terrible neckdive issue. And how much does the preamp affect the sound? Does it make it sound sterile like on my bass?

Also, the Lesh sound I'm going for would be on Blues for Allah era stuff, which would be his Modulus I guess. What other basses can get close to his sound?

5. Blues for allah would be a pretty early album

I'd be betting thats his Alembic, or else his modified gibson

either way, you should be able to do it, or atleast find something fitting

6. Bump :ninja: I'm so very close to buying one of these, and the neckdive issue is really bugging me :scowl:

I think I'm gonna go for the III, which is definitely passive because I'll probably be installing a Darkstar as well and that would be difficult with the supposedly wacky preamp of the II and IV

7. I really recomend leaving it alone for a while before modifying. That humbucker at the neck is a monster. Some of the coolest tones I've ever gotten have been from that bass

8. Yeah I was gonna leave it for a while because I gotta buy a car after this bass and even one darkstar puts a pretty big dent in the fund :bawl:

I should be ordering the III soon unless anyone thinks I may be better suited with an onboard EQ or a different bass altogether.