1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

ovation magnum 4 and a half?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by beyondhairy, May 8, 2010.

1. i just bought a magnum and it doesn't look like any other magnum i've seen... it looks like the magnum 4

http://www.ovationguitars.com/pics/models/1264_lg.jpg

except it only has the big brick pick up in the middle of the body, and no pick up selector (obviously)

anybody have any info on the bass?

2. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Need pics!

3. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Banned

Feb 13, 2009
    Western Pennsylvania
    Pics not working for me.

5. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    me either.

6. photo11.

photo9.

photo10.

7. i thought the last one they made was the magnum III...
    :confused:

8. i know they made a 4, but they ALL had 2 pick ups.... i have no idea where this one fits....

9. RedemptionBass

RedemptionBass

Dec 12, 2007
    Crystal Lake, IL
    Head (and only) Honcho at Redemption Bass
    Hmmm.... I'm guessing that the bridge pickup was removed, the neck pickup moved down, all rewired, and a new pickguard was made.

Does not look stock to me at all.

10. RedemptionBass

RedemptionBass

Dec 12, 2007
    Crystal Lake, IL
    Head (and only) Honcho at Redemption Bass
    .... Although.... the engraving for the pre might prove me wrong.

11. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Banned

Feb 13, 2009
    Western Pennsylvania
    Some sort of prototype or one-off or something?

12. kjpollo

kjpollo

Mar 17, 2008
    CT
    How about contacting Ovation directly? Especially if you can find a serial # on it somewhere.

13. MR PC

MR PC Banned

Dec 1, 2007
    Is that the old Ovation Typhoon model? In any case it looks like it would do a serious job with dub tones.

14. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    It is not a Typhoon, the Typhoons were hollowbodies. It is definitely a Magnum 4.

This looks/sounds right to me:
    I would bet that if you remove the pickguard, you will find routing for the two original pickup locations, and that the current pickguard is a custom one-off.

Cool bass though!

15. Not a Typhoon. Almost thought it was a homebrew Magnum hack job but the guard and the graphic EQ looks factory stock. Call Ovation with the bass in hand and please tell us what they say. I've seen a lot of basses but this one is new to me.

16. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    The more I look at it though, the more I think "prototype". Here's why: the pickguard has the slots and markings for the stock 6-band graphic EQ, which would not be there if the bass was modded with a custom pickguard. The slider slots are filled with a three-band EQ, which would have been much easier to do with pots (rather than those weird double sliders with custom plastic heads) if it was a home modding job. And the mute mechanism in the bridge is missing both the pull-lever and the foam pad--and in place of the foam pad is an Ovation decal that just happens to fit perfectly. All of these details are things that somebody could easily have done at Ovation, as a prototype or personal one-off for a worker, but that would have been difficult and unlikely for someone who didn't work at Ovation.

There never was one of these as a production model.

17. Korladis

Korladis Banned Supporting Member

That has got to be one of the most bizarre instruments I've ever seen.

18. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Then you should check out the Magnum 1 and 2! :p

19. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Could you pull the pickguard? If so, be careful not to damage those slider knobs. They are expensive and hard to come by.

20. there was some talk about the sliders...

there are 6 of them, but grouped into 3 sets of 2, i can pull the rubber tops off though so i can have 6 individual sliders. but the pickguard in that area has seen some damage, it is kinda broken in so i would fear removing it, especially if finding a replacement pick-guard isnt possible lol

i didnt take a picture of the back side, but it has a set neck, with a smooth transition from neck to body, so it looks like its a neck thru and not just a neck glued to a body. i dont know if that means anything, im not sure what the back of the magnums are supposed to look like. but i cant find a serial anywhere