1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ovation Magnum I Neck Pickup

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Bassic Urges, Aug 26, 2012.

1. Bassic Urges

Bassic Urges

Oct 21, 2011
    Greetings,

I recently purchased an Ovation Magnum I from Guitar Center. I got a pretty good deal on it considering the condition, but after receiving it and plugging it in, I have discovered that the neck pickup is not working.

There are no loose or broken wires outside of the pickup casing. I pulled the neck pickup out to examine it, but the back plate looks like it has been welded/soldered on. There is no way for me to check the connections inside the pickup. Does anyone know if this is how that pickup is designed? I know this guitar is old and has probably been tinkered with by more than a couple of people over the years.

Also of note, the screws that adjust the volume of the pole pieces in the neck pickup look badly rusted, but since I can't open the casing, I really have no idea of how bad things are inside.

I live in Longmont, Colorado. Do any of you know of a reputable shop around Boulder, Longmont, or Denver that would be able to get the electronics back in order? Anyone besides John Baxendale of Colorado Guitar Company that is. I took my Ric there at the beginning of the year, and for a variety of reasons I won't be going back.

Thanks to all!

2. MPU

MPU

Sep 21, 2004
    Valkeala Finland
    There's many things that can go wrong inside this kind of pickup.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcShVVPaWK_0NeHYpLA_0k5_oH1uAZkWL0tFYnKKr-HIhWh8JkH2zw.
    Soldered covers can be opened with solder gun. As for who to send it I have no clue.
    Marko

3. bassvirtuoso

bassvirtuoso My God, it's full of chrome! Gold Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2006
    Nebraska
    Curtis Novak seems to be a good choice for repairing the unusual.