1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ovation Magnum sacrilege, part II.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Benjamin Strange, Jun 28, 2012.

1. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    A while back, I made some major mods to my vintage 1974 Ovation Magnum. I dug the mods so much, I decided to do it again!

I routed out the useless middle section, and wired in three new pickups, each to their own on/off switch. In addition to the two stock pickups, I've got two Rio Grande Pitbulls, and one Rio Grande P-Zazz. This bass is slightly more aggressive sounding than my fretless Magnum, and now I've got a lot more options to choose from (without having to deal with any EQ or other fiddly business).

While I was waiting for my pickups to arrive, I decided to go ahead and refret it using our new Plek machine. I had refretted it several years ago on our neck jig, and thought it was time to change things up a bit. Plus, I was curious as to how my previous work checked out on a machine that can read a neck down to a .0001". My initial scan showed that my previous fretwork was only off by about .0005" at the most! Damn, I'm good. This time, I opted for giant stainless steel frets (.055" tall, .110" wide), made a nut out of buffalo horn, and set it up for SUPER low action (.060" bass side, .050" treble side, measured at the 12th fret).

It's absolutely monstrous now (as if it wasn't before). Check it!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    Inspired , like star wars showing the first future in disrepair, ....

3. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks